King of the Mississippi by Philg88 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with internal and navigation LED lighting

Fixing the eyepins to the brass rings on the smokestacks is another fiddly task, thank God for the XY table and drill press. Stairs are all but finished, final gluing can wait until they're in position to ensure the correct fit. I'm doing these adjunct tasks while I wait for the rest of the windows (i.e. 2) for the second deck staterooms, which STILL haven't arrived. I've ordered some more from a different supplier so that little bit of kit bashing has now cost me 25 quid with the extortionate handling and postage charges involved!

post-17177-0-19930200-1427818268_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-58487700-1427818271_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-95734300-1427818280_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-11331800-1427818284_thumb.jpg.

Lookin' good, Phil. That staircase will make a nice feature !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The balustrades and banisters are fantastic. They will make an eye-catching feature on your build, for sure.

Nice work !!

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Really taking shape , your attention to detail is brilliant !!!!!1

Thanks Boyd. Although I love the detailed work on this build, I am trying to tear myself away to get on with the quarterdeck cabins for the Victory - those will have some really nice details. Watch that space!

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philg88

• 2 weeks later...

Small update as the Victory seems to be taking up most of my time at the moment. I connected the paddlewheels and made the small posts that carry the railings at the stern. These are 3x3x14mm and were drilled 5 mm with a 0.7 mm diameter drill then a snipped up off tack was CAed in the hole. These posts are not mentioned in the instructions or the parts list, which is a bit naughty of AL. However, they do appear in the instruction booklet and on the supplied drawings if you look very closely.

post-17177-0-05140000-1430299200_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-13099400-1430299204_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's a joy to watch your build, and fine attention to detail.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

I am planning to build the Portland (Bluejacket) and am going to light it, but with a 12V and 5V system with external power so that I can keep it on all the time. I am waiting for the kit to arrive, so I might change my approach when I get it.

I built the Chaperon(MSW) and wished that I had put lights in it. 

I plan to use 3mm lights to keep the intensity down. I did a mock up with bigger lights and they seemed to bright.

I have a build log started so keep in touch.

Clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Hi Clarence,

Yes, 5mm can be a bit bright. For the Victory, I bought and stripped down some tea light LEDs that have a cool flickering effect, like candle or gas light. They seem to work like a standard 2.2V 20Ma LED -  I used a 9V AC transformer supply with appropriate resistors. Another thing I do now is to incorporate a 150Ma fuse - although the currents involved are low, apparently they're enough to ignite a wood, glue and paint model.

I'll be watching your  build. :)

Cheers,

Philip

Are you going to light it? I should get my "Portland" kit today, and I have been wondering about the pilot house. If the boat was underway the light would be off. If it was at the dock it would be on.

Clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

The third deck stateroom under construction and at its latest stage. I didn't use a number of the internal bulkheads as they would interfere with the lighting. That many parts aren't really needed but I guess it makes the construction easier if you do use them. I should mention that the curve in the roof was done by soaking the parts in boiling water for 5 minutes (no more or the plywood will delaminate) then squeezing them to the required shape in a bench vice - make sure that the grain runs parallel to the vice jaws.

post-17177-0-47291700-1435853984_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-75474300-1435853985_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-90817300-1435854296_thumb.jpg

coming along nicely phil- havn't popped in for a look for a while. Going to look cool as when lit up. I know someone who wanted a mississippi steamer music box which would have moving paddles along with the musical chimes!

Keith

lights look great. Can't wait for a night shot. 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Thanks

I can see the problem of taking a picture in the dark.

I am still working on the Portland hull. It is an interesting model. at 1/8" to 1' things get fairly small. The decks are only 1" tall. I am planning to light it with "wheat grain" size 12v leds. 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

• 8 months later...

Wow !! Colour me impressed !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)