King of the Mississippi by Philg88 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with internal and navigation LED lighting

Hi Phil

Extremely nice build :)

How did you find the materials in your AL kit. i had to replace about 50% of the timber in mine and it's put me off another AL kit, Hoping it's just a one off in my case

Hi Phil

Extremely nice build :)

How did you find the materials in your AL kit. i had to replace about 50% of the timber in mine and it's put me off another AL kit, Hoping it's just a one off in my case

Thanks Bob,

The timber wasn't too bad - I had to order some more for the hull as there wasn't enough but apart from that it was OK. If you think AL's timber is poor, I recommend you stay away from Billing kits! On my Victory build it was so bad I had to substitute better stuff for both the decking and the hull.

Cheers,

Philip

Not sure why this is posted here ... that isn't the King of the Mississippi ...

That was my error and I have now deleted it. My apologies to Philip.

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Thanks Bob,

The timber wasn't too bad - I had to order some more for the hull as there wasn't enough but apart from that it was OK. If you think AL's timber is poor, I recommend you stay away from Billing kits! On my Victory build it was so bad I had to substitute better stuff for both the decking and the hull.

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks for the info Phillip  :) 

Hey there, I just noticed this log and am sad to have missed it before. Looks like we were both building steamboats in a similar time period.

Early on, you discussed using mouldings along the base of the cabin walls, wondering if that was something real steamboats had. It was, at least for the Bertrand (my build). When the boat was excavated in the 1970s, the entire superstructure was gone, but they were able to reconstruct the outline of the main structures by the 1/4 round moulding left nailed to the main deck around the perimeter of the structures.

Nice job on the model!