USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

You singed the sails while on the ship? Your squirrels have bigger, um, acorns than I imagined.

Glorious, creative work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks George, Frank, CaptainSteve, Mark, Ken, Boyd, gerty, CH, Sam and all those hitting the like button. You kind words are a great encouragement.

The sails are finally completed. Now I can focus on deck furnishings.

post-17116-0-57098900-1459865278_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-79881600-1459865817_thumb.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Yeah, I really like that angle.

This was going to be my next kit. Now I'm wondering if I should just print these photos out and stick them on the bookshelf instead.

Thanks George, CH and all for the likes.

CH, the acorns were large and bountiful with the Nutz and Bawlz Clans. Burning the sails after they were in place was a white knuckle event. Many modelers leave the sails off or furl them so they don't block the view. I decided to go this route with the fore and aft main sails angled towards the port side. The square sail was, however, too much so it got furled.

I think you'd like this model, even though the instructions aren't the greatest.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

If a ship looking like that was coming for you, it would definitely strike fear. It would be like death had come calling. Great work Matt! Definitely a fearless move to torch the sails while on the ship!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Matt, yeah, the instructions are what they are, and I intend to refer to this log heavily. I was annoyed to discover, shortly after buying this kit, that BlueJacket had come out with a similar one that's probably better. But it'll be a good learning experience whenever I get to it. I want to rework it to my vision, too, so your heavy customizing will be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Boyd, Buck, CH and those who punch the like button.

Work in the shipyard has been moving steadily. Starting to button up with all of the rope coils and other furnishings.

post-17116-0-55634200-1460903695_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-26772500-1460903771_thumb.jpeg

I search through many photos for culverins/swivel guns that were in use during this time period and came up with a lot. So I took the liberty of letting my mind wander through the ages. Not sure if there's not enough or too many. Wait a minute...can a pirate ship have too much artillery? Nope!

post-17116-0-76190000-1460903609_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all the likes and encouragement.

Things are finally getting close to the end. For the stand, I repurposed an old oak door I got from the rebuild center for $2. Last year a trip was made to an obsidian flow in eastern Oregon where I got both mahogany and rainbow obsidian. The volcanic glass was broken into shards and and set in cement patch to represent water. I wasn't really sure of the outcome, but it seems to look ok.

post-17116-0-74809600-1462458467_thumb.jpeg

The door was distressed with alternating red mahogany and natural grey Minwax, hand scraping between each coat and finished off with steel wool.

post-17116-0-01609300-1462458478_thumb.jpeg

After much contemplation, I resolved on a location for the ebony skull. At first I thought of putting it on the point of the bowsprit, but it really looked out of place. This spot made it blend in much better.

post-17116-0-49036200-1462458597_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-81084800-1462458509_thumb.jpeg

I used my extra barrels, sailcloth, timber and botched cannons to fill up the cargo hold. There's still a couple minor details to work out, but overall it's mostly complete.

post-17116-0-18693000-1462461058_thumb.jpeg

Nice!!..... really different...... Nice Matt

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matt,

Just beautiful work, perfect placement of the Skull...and so creative on many levels  :)

Great idea using the botched Cannons, I've butchered a couple myself, as well as purchased a couple different types...into the hold they go  :D

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Sweet work, Matt.  Historically, old damaged cannons were used for ballast so thumbs up for that also.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bravo !! Looks good, Matt !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you Frank, Boyd, Mark, CaptainSteve and to all for the likes and continuing encouragement.

So the final chapter of the Pirate Ship has been written. The Nutz and Bawlz Clans are ready to embark on their maiden voyage. Once on the high seas, they shall bring terror to all who encounter them.

It's hard to pick an exact ending point to this build, but I think I've arrived. Early on I had the idea of adding lighting, but realized that I would need a lot of advanced planning to accomplish this, which I didn't do. So I settled on just one simple lantern. The inspiration for this came from the Syren Ship Model Company's stern lantern kit. I modified it to a hand held lantern and added a red LED, well, to add at least one light feature.

post-17116-0-69239400-1462663099_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-01883400-1462663112_thumb.jpeg

I came up with an unusual solution to disguise the battery and switch which I added to CaptainSteve's Kit Bashers Guide. I'll let those who are more proficient at electronics to correct any errors in this process. The battery and cables are hidden in the cargo hold.

post-17116-0-13855000-1462662860_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-94550400-1462662840_thumb.jpeg

It may take a few days for me to work up photos for the gallery, but I assure you they will come. I want to thank everyone so much for the continued encouragement and help that you've given me through this "flying by the seat of my pants" build. I wonder, as most have, on what comes next, so it's been a journey with many turns.

As it sits right now, my next build will be the Benjamin W. Latham American fishing schooner by MS. It's a nice 1:48 scale so there's room for a lot of details and a reasonable amount of bashing. Off to the Dark side!!!

Well done on the entire ship and that ingenious battery box.   Looking great.  Wish the brothers for me and much nuts and booty.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hearty congratulations! It's been a fascinating project to follow, full of creativity and education. Many thanks for the time you spent sharing it with us.

Congratulation, Matt. I really like the electronic addition. Nicely done concealing the battery and switch.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well I added the pictures to my gallery. Thanks again to everyone for all of the encouragement that was given. I can be found at my new build log Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

• The title was changed to USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log