USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

Thanks George, CaptainSteve, Boyd and everyone for the likes.

Now that the hull turned out cool I might redo the deck as well. I think the same wood would be to much though, we'll see.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Now that the hull turned out cool I might redo the deck as well. I think the same wood would be to much though, we'll see.

I would agree, the same contrast on the deck would be a bit much....after seeing the level of creativity on your launch I'm sure you'll step out of the box topside with something special  :cheers:  

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

They did a wonderful job with the planking Matt!  It's a good thing you explained who you were right away because "old Salty" looks like he was ready to strike. It's good he came back with you so he can get to work with the boys and loose a couple pounds. He's looking a little a little pudgy. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Those mountains look familiar... Eastern Oregon, I'm thinking.  The Nutz brothers continue their fine tradition as that deck looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

George, I think Salty has a chance to lose some weight now that he's picked up his rock hammer again!

You are correct Mark, SE ridge behind Money's Head at Smith Rocks. I told my son I'm getting too old for this! It was a great start for our mini vacation.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I love the planking job the Nutz brothers have done ... but, err, what's going on with the platform a-stern ??

(Looks a little like a rotunda for a band to play on)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

It looks to me like maybe either a) a gazebo base or B) a pivot gun platform. This weapons guy likes b. B)

Matt, the decking looks great. My compliments to the Nutz brothers. And Uncle Salty is starting to look like a groundhog or gopher. Get him back to work! :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks goes out to George, Mark, CaptainSteve, Buck, Ken and to all for the likes and words of encouragement.

Well CaptainSteve, Ken got it right. The rotunda will be made home by the carronade(s). I use the (s) because at this point I'm really not sure what heck I'm doing. My best estimation is that pivot platforms would be of great value on a ship of this size. The range of fire is greatly improved, giving the ability to send a punch in almost any direction.

Taking this in mind, I acquired a sea mortar(MS) at a very low price. I'm taking CaptainSteve's advice, to include this small project into this build log.

post-17116-0-23313000-1429880066_thumb.jpg

I will be scaling down from 1:16 to 1:64 but have yet to decide how many to make.

:cheers:

That be the business, indeed, Matt !!

I can just imagine the back-story already:
... the Nutz Brothers on their extremely dangerous and highly-classified secret night-mission
... their target ... the Imperial army's latest and most deadly weapon !!
... the tale of their stunning success !!
... followed by tales of their daring-do as they turn the weapon against them dreaded Red-Coats !!

(Whoops !! Wrong era !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks CaptainSteve and Boyd for encouragement.

You know Boyd, this is becoming more of a scratch than a bash! Changes get made nearly every turn, so I too am interested how this will play out. My best thoughts seem to come in the a.m. after a quart or so of thick, dark coffee.

With so many squirrels at boot camp, and several others needing life skills training, I've decided to take over the weapons detail. (No need for panic, this was all cleared by CaptainHarry). The mortar kit is an easy build and fairly self explanatory.

post-17116-0-40807400-1429936998_thumb.jpg

I decided to build the kit and the mini versions at the same time. Wood veneer was cut to the necessary size and laminated enough pieces together to achieve proper thicknesses.

post-17116-0-53203500-1429936887_thumb.jpg

After the glue dried, and the pieces were shaped, the whole assembly was then glued together. Next task, building the big guns.

post-17116-0-62381800-1429936905_thumb.jpg

Wow----a big mortar and a bunch of mini's! Heavily armed to say the least. Better be careful when firing the big one, and make sure one of the squirrel crew didn't get drunk and climb in there and pass out!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thanks CaptainSteve and Boyd for encouragement.

You know Boyd, this is becoming more of a scratch than a bash! Changes get made nearly every turn, so I too am interested how this will play out. My best thoughts seem to come in the a.m. after a quart or so of thick, dark coffee.

Speaking of "Bash', have you checked out my thread on the definition of "Kit Bashed", it's getting some very interesting comments (in the Wooden Model Ship Questions and Reviews section).

I too do my best and most creative thinking in the wee hours of the morning...and a good cup of Java gets the old brain in gear :)

Next up swivels perhaps....and maybe you can train the beavers to retrieve wood for the project :)  

Boyd 

Boyd- Thanks for the mention of your 'bashing' thread. That was a good read. I hadn't realized that the term was an issue with some.

Matt- Bash away buddy! I hope you took no offense with me mentioning drink coasters after seeing your gun swivel! I'm actually thinking of making planked drink coasters because of that!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Boyd- Thanks for the mention of your 'bashing' thread. That was a good read. I hadn't realized that the term was an issue with some.

Matt- Bash away buddy! I hope you took no offense with me mentioning drink coasters after seeing your gun swivel! I'm actually thinking of making planked drink coasters because of that!

I actually like that idea. Planked coasters with a nibbing strake around it. Hey---get a patent, and sell the idea to Walmart and become the next millionaire!   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

George, that's exactly why I took over the ordinances! Them crazy rum drinkin squirrels would end up killing us all!

Now Buck, did you actually plant those trees! If not....you may be disqualified.

I talked to CaptainHarry today and asked how the ship is goin. He said they're all waitin for me to finish the armaments! I almost busted a nutcracker over his head! "Tell Woodie not to wait! Put as many gun ports as the ship can handle! If I don't make enough, I'm sure you'll plunder more!"

Now I can get back to my job. The reason for five mortars, some may get bashed in along the way. This way I'll be assured that kit is bashed, maybe...if I follow the rules...wait if I follow the rules then it won't be a bash...ahh screw it.

post-17116-0-36984500-1430101246_thumb.jpg

The MS mortar kit, or any of the guns of history kits, I think would make an excellent build for a starter or a shifter from other modeling. It's a 5-10hr kit, which here at MSW means 5-10 days, minimum!

As has been seen, I'm doing all six at once. The full size carriage I'm aging, the smaller ones will most likely be painted.

So I've been soldering and fileing and came up with a halfway decent mortar barrel. I'm doing these the same as my carronade, except no CA, soldered. This one seemed to turn out better than my carronade, so I may redo that one, we'll see.

post-17116-0-20842500-1430101258_thumb.jpg

Looking awesome Matt! That's the trouble with those squirrels. Sometimes you just have to crack the whip---or nut-cracker in this case.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

A nice motley collection o' gunnery there, Matt.

The mortar looks like it could take-out a small-to-medium-sized town all on its' own !! 

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice little mortars and carronades you've turned there, Matt. :)

Guess those pirate squirrels can be a little touchy; may have to make an example of one or else the blighters will take over and you'll be "walking the plank". :dancetl6:

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thanks for the encouragement George, CaptainSteve, Ken and everyone for the likes.

I still am trying to decide if the guns will remain shiny brass or get blackened.

I still am trying to decide if the guns will remain shiny brass or get blackened.

Matt,

I'm going through the same thought process....so far I've blackened every brass part on the ship but I'm heavily considering leaving the cannons brass just for the nice contrast (really not going for historical accuracy on my build - I think the viewing audience would like the brass look).

And nice progress on the mortars...looking forward to the end result on both weapons :)

Boyd 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Matt, I'd leave them in brass. Seems appropriate for those piratical squirrels. Lots of "Flash".

Ken

Boyd and Ken, I agree. They shall stay brass, and the minions shall keep them polished! And I've got one particular squirrel in mind.

Seems that the Nutz Bros put out a call to all in their family to go to basic training. If they succeed, they may be given a higher rank, but they have to prove themselves worthy. Well, their favorite nephew got discharged and was deemed inadequate. Harry and Woodie still want him here, so here Droopie will stay. Polishing brass will be his job, for a very long time.