HMS Victory by Philg88 - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Philip ,I think everyone comes to the same conclusion after a big planking job , Perfection in this hobby cannot be achieved . I think it,s lookin great and unlike Keith i would love to be planking mine again ,wait till you start the finer detail ,it makes the planking seem simple .Maybe that,s just me !!!!

Boyd

Thanks for the likes guys! Nice to get the dust mask off for a while. She's looking smoother and smoother but there's no point in posting any more pics until I've started the tiling, probably mid next week. Update: I forgot, I need to fit the wales too before the copper goes on.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philg88

i painted the black on the hull first Phil so i didnt have to worry about getting any on the tiling, but yes i would recommend fitting the wales and finishing all the major parts of the outer hull before plating as the less the copper is handled the less it will tarnish, and when working on the bow and sttern you may catch the tiles if you use Boyd and mines clamping method while working on them.

Keith

Edited by clearway

I seem to have spent most of the last week thinking about this build rather than actually doing anything. I've decided to go with LED lighting as I have a working circuit developed for the King of the Mississipi project and with a build of Victory's duration/complexity, I think it's worth the extra effort. This enhancement means that I need to run power wires up from a plinth through the hull to various points around the ship. I intend to use three lengths of 6mm brass tube to mount the ship on its plinth, one or two of which will conceal the power wires. My plan is to reinforce the (false) keel with ply liners either side of the 6 mm holes for the brass rod to provide support. M4 bolts inside the tubes will fix to nuts attached to points inside the ship, which have been hollowed out of the false keel. The entry points of the tubes will be hidden by the planking/copper and in a location pretty much hidden from sight once the build is finished. Can anyone, particularly fellow Billing Victory builders, think of any reason(s) why this might be a bad idea?

You have me intrigued about these lights, have you got any pictures of what a finished victory looks like with LEDs?

As you know I am lighting my Portland model. I have been using 12v 3mm and 5mm leds. They are low cost, and only need very thin wire. There is a remote available so that i can adjust the brightness. I have two circuts one with the remote for inside lights and a fixed output line for the navigation lights.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

I think using the tubes is a idea. I am now thinking of using that concept in some fashion. I am planning a Plexiglas base and cass. Since that make a lot of the support visible I decided not to hid the external hook  up. Using you concept I may switch to a wood base and brass supports. 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

@Napoleon: I kind of made up the lighting as I went along so it wasn't based on someone else's plan. As I recall there is at least one Victory build documented here that has LED lighting but I drew a blank trying to find it ...

@Clarence: Plexiglass is cool but wood and brass cover a multitude of sins. The wire I used for both the Mississippi and Victory is AWG 30 with a diameter of around 0.5mm, which allegedly will carry up to 10A (I don't recommend trying it with that load!). That makes it small enough to run two power lines through a 5mm brass tube with an M4 bolt up the middle.

Cheers,

Philip

post-14839-0-98179900-1438961892_thumb.jpgpost-14839-0-91505500-1438961924_thumb.jpgpost-14839-0-23406800-1438961986_thumb.jpgThe two Plesxiglass cases shown below are light with 12v strip lights. I intend to do the same for the Portland, but may follow your use of a wood base and brass columns to support the ship. That way I could hide the wires untill they left the case.

The led is 5mm with resistor.

Clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Copper tiling in progress. c 900 tiles done, only another 900 odd to go. These are the Caldercraft tiles from CMB at £2.34 per 100. I'm using a general purpose glue rather than CA as it gives more movement time, although CA is used where necessary. Also a snap of the £20 surface gauge I just bought - not sure how you can mark horizontal lines without one of these.

post-17177-0-02577300-1460281145_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-73435900-1460281146_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-56088100-1460281148_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-21896400-1460281150_thumb.jpg

post-17177-0-00059200-1460281152_thumb.jpg