Ah.. found it.. NRG Journal.  Autumn issue, right inside the front cover.   Ages of Sail ad but nothing on their website. 

My bad!

I wanted to make sure the ad announced the kit in time for the NRG Conference, but didn't realize how quickly the ad would show up in the Journal. The kit is coming soon. We were hoping to have a more definitive date by now, but will have to wait for more info. I'll try to get a mention of the kit on the Ages of Sail website, but will have to do a little reorganizing first. Maybe later this weekend.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

No problem from my end.  BTW, congrats on the cover ship for the NRJ.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Revenge should be due for release this year, as I know Amati have been working on finalising the Italian translations of my text. They are still on their Summer holidays right now, though (whole of July and August!)

Right now, I am working on the 64th scale Victory plans (masts and spars). I have about another three months (at least) of work for the booklets, plans and instructions, as the model is so detailed (although I am bound to make a mistake, which someone will be only too pleased to point out at some stage... lol)

Bellona is a fine looking model, and I think would sell very well, but I need to re-design a lot of the parts, following the knowledge gained while designing Victory (which was an improvement of the Bellona designs)

After Victory, I would like Amati to allow me to concentrate on the 64th scale Prince, as I have re designed that in-line with the new hull construction methods I use (like Victory)

Not sure about an Admiralty-type model. As much as I would like to design one, I think the perceived complexity may put off all but the most experienced - and those that can would probably be experienced enough to build their own from plans anyway. Plus, of course, the edges of the exposed frames would be black, from the laser cutting....

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I will wait for the Victory, whenever it comes out!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Chris, I would give one of my kidneys for a Prince or the 64th scale Victory. At least I know that the Victory is close by, she should hopefully be on the market by the time I finish my current build.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Cheers Jaxboat :) The wiener's (or sausage dogs, as we call them) do help in me keeping sane - they're usually up to something that makes me laugh out loud!

Have no pics to post, as I have no models here at home at all right now - not one! (Apart from a lot of unopened plastic kits, which I never seem to have the time to start...)

Will keep you updated on all the stuff I am doing, especially Victory. If I add less text to the instructions, the quicker the final stages of development are, due to less translating. I know Amati have invested a hell of a lot of money in the development of this model, so I cannot envisage them sitting on this once the plans/instructions/photo booklet have been finalised.

Chris

logo.jpg

Chris, I would give one of my kidneys for a Prince or the 64th scale Victory. At least I know that the Victory is close by, she should hopefully be on the market by the time I finish my current build.

Prince is my favourite. I re-designed it to allow more lower deck detail - can't wait to start this one!

logo.jpg

Hi Chris

I think you know my vote goes for Prince :D Given your attention to detail on Victory,it would make a nice change for me to build something almost out of the box :D  :D .I say almost,as I would probably swap the walnut for swiss pear :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: .No rush,I have umpteen projects on the go for the meantime :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

As we are both members of the European Union,why don't we get the same holidays as Italy????? :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Chris: Appreciate the update. While it doesn't appear that the Bellona will be making a appearance anytime soon, I hope you don't mind me in asking.. :-) Sounds like you will have your hands full for the next year or 2. Keep the updates and new kits coming...

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

It seems a bit odd to design and build such a beautiful model as the Bellona and then leave the project fallow. I'm hoping that by the time I finish Vanguard (which will probaly take another couple of years) the Bellona will finally be on sale.

RMC

It seems a bit odd to design and build such a beautiful model as the Bellona and then leave the project fallow. I'm hoping that by the time I finish Vanguard (which will probaly take another couple of years) the Bellona will finally be on sale.

RMC

Bellona will be released one day, I have no doubt. What I am saying it that it needs a re-design to make the hull assembly easier to assemble, and it needs to be stronger. As it is now, I have no doubt experienced model makers would have no trouble, but for the rest, it would be a nightmare for them (I can only imagine how many emails a day I would get forwarded by Amati from customers asking for help)! I just need to design out the fragility, and once that's done, it should be fine as the rest of the parts are fine.

Bellona was designed to try out new ways of building the hull with much more internal detail. from that experience I was able to design Victory with full internal detail. This was part of the point of Bellona - a test-bed for new ideas. If I still had to design the same old boring block-type models, instead of trying out new stuff, I would have gone mad with boredom by now!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Chris: I do appreciate the work you are putting into the Bellona. It will definitely be a treat to have a different approach to kit construction. More internal detail would be a interesting addition to a kit. Most of us add that through "kit bashing". My Agamemnon has slowed in its progress with all of the extra "add ons" (as well as all of lifes interruptions). As you know from my posts in the past, I am keen to see this model released as a result of your work and if there is anything us lads and lasses can do to help please let (me) us know! :-)

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all
I have some question about Lady Nelson
on kit is idicated that the scale is 1:64

OK.. but..
in building instructions is indicated that the original vessel was 52' 6" long (aprox 16,03 m) and 17' 6" large (aprox 5,34m)

the model's hull is 29,7cm long that indicate the scale of about 1:54 ?

someone can help ?

Thk a lot
Leo

Edited by Leo-zd

Leo,

It depends on how the original is measured. The term 'length' is tricky in the nautical world. It could mean length overall (LOA) or length on deck (LOD) or length between perpendiculars. Chris will be able to tell you for certain how the scale was determined.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Leo,

While I am not familiar with that kit, it does not surprise me about the scale being off. It is common for kits of many makers to be off considerably from the published scale on their kits. Not sure if the problem is with original data on ships or poor measurements, but it is seen frequently with kits and plans.

Vince P.

thk for answers

But in the instructions is indicated the Lengh and the Beam
As the lengh is biggher dimension it is easier to calculate.

So the model lengh of hull is 29,7 mm , the only elements which are longher but mutch longher are bowsprit and boom, so these don't enter in measurement. From other side aren't any element on the hull which could modifi the lengh.

Edited by Leo-zd

here is the measurement

I am interested to built the model in 1:100, that is the reason of my question

post-1426-0-22185100-1410519027_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leo-zd

As Chris states: 'length' has various meanings.

There are a couple of options:

1. length overal (i.e. including bowsprit etc)

2. length between the perpendiculars (which is what you indicated in your sketch)

3. length over deck, which is more or less the length of the deck (between the sterns)

4. length over the waterline, which is the the distance between the points were the sterns 'hit the water'

5. keel length. Sometimes only the lenght of the keel is mentioned, which is consierably shorter that the other lengths.

One of these lengths corresponds with your stated length. As Lady Nelson is a hypothetical ship, modelled to a more or less standard design, there is no reason to be 'off scale'. I suspect that the 16 meter refers to something else than the length between the perpendiculars.

Jan

Maybe... I don't know
but on what is in that case refered the beam?

Anywhere I have a intention to made LN in 1:100 or something similar because I like small boats in small scalas.

I have another question , anybody has idea about sails for LN ?

Edited by Leo-zd

Hello MSW :) Great stuff this build log . What I would like to see is an aftermarket upgrade - or let us say a "downgrade" - for the Victory to build her in an older configuration before 1800 with the balconies on the stern and so on as seen on some pictures. just an idea ;) regards ludger

Edited by teloo

• 2 months later...

Tracey,

Have a look here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2713-dafi´s-photo-etch-set-for-hms-victory-1100-heller-and-other-ships/

I'm not sure who else sell such items for that scale (or close to it).  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hi to all

I have some question about Lady Nelson

on kit is idicated that the scale is 1:64

OK.. but..

in building instructions is indicated that the original vessel was 52' 6" long (aprox 16,03 m) and 17' 6" large (aprox 5,34m)

the model's hull is 29,7cm long that indicate the scale of about 1:54 ?

someone can help ?

Thk a lot

Leo

I think that is correct admit own mistakes, and this was my mistake.

After I had controlled other dimensions and for last also the cannons (3 ponders) I realized that the scale of Lady Nelson is 1:64 :huh:

The reason for all this is that I started the scratc build of the model, I was convinced that the scale is 1:100 but in fact I am working in 1:119 .