HI Chris,

The vessel the Romans subsequently used was called a "Liburnian". It was indeed lighter and faster. Ironically it was designed after Med Pirate ships at the time. Smaller versions of he Liburnian design were also used as riverine patrol craft on the Rhine and elsewhere.

On another topic: any new from the front On Victory? Thanks for sharing your work with us

Best

Jaxboat

• 4 weeks later...

Nice, especially with the amended planking.

If that's a third of the oars then cruel and unusual punishment awaits people building this beast when it hits the market!

Cheers :)

I didn't like the all painted hull, and couldn't sleep well until I changed it!

The oars don't take too long to make at all - you just cut the dowel to length and simply glue on the laser cut paddle on the end! I can see now why most other commercial kits only show one bank of oars...

I think I will have to design a base that's wide enough for the oars, as they will ne quite delicate...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

How did the oarsmen keep from tangling with each other?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 4 weeks later...

Chris: You may have already posted the information, but if so I've missed it. What scale is it and how big is the model? I'd guess about twice the size of the bireme,

It is 1:48 scale - I initially wanted it to be 1:32, but that would have made it way too big, unless I went for a much smaller vessel.

The hull is just over a metre long, but it's not too tall. :)

logo.jpg

Hi Chrish,

a few days ago I sent you a PM about the clinker planking.

Please, if you have time, could you give me some help / suggestion about it?

Thanks in advance for your help and reply

Graziano

Hi Chris,

If the site has gone all funny, it could be "adblock" playing up.

Just disable it for this site.

btw you have just put another kit on my wish list.

Cheers

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Your work is impeccable. I've been contemplating getting HMS Vanguard for a while, just concerned I'd be able to do it.

For future projects would you consider HMY Caroline, it would be wonderful to have a kit that did her justice. I've been tempted by the Panart kit however I think the castings let it down (I know, suggestions that I should do them myself! I can plank hulls but carve figures! They just look like balloon animals) and if the AOT book is correct then the castings for the decorations are a big let down.

Regards

Cheers,

I have contemplated to a 32nd scale Royal Caroline in the past - would make a great model...

Today, the Roman Quinquereme was delivered to the couriers in Gloucester, to be shipped to Italy - our home is once again free of any models!

I did design two versions, one for the Republican period (which is how the model is displayed), and an Imperial version (Augustan).

I had to design quite a substantial display base for it, as the oars make the width half a metre!

post-4332-0-04518500-1404550343_thumb.jpg

post-4332-0-45359400-1404550347_thumb.jpg

post-4332-0-01380100-1404550353_thumb.jpg

post-4332-0-77551200-1404550355_thumb.jpg

logo.jpg

Awesome galley.

Here is a publication you might be interested in regarding your galley: there was an article in the latest issue of World Archaeology (#65) about the discovery of the battle site of the last sea battle of the First Punic war between Carthage and Rome. They have recovered 12 bronze rams so far and one still had shards of wood lodged in the front which came from an enemy ship that was rammed.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Edited by Jaxboat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw an ad for it.  Looks like it might be released.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What??? You're kidding, right?  :o Where? When? How much?  :piratebo5:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ah.. found it.. NRG Journal.  Autumn issue, right inside the front cover.   Ages of Sail ad but nothing on their website. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What is going to be released? The Victory? Or the Roman galley?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

The Revenge, apparently from the ad.  Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So Chris: Now that you are finishing up this project what is next on your plate. As a member of the "I sure like the Bellona prototype" you developed I was curious if there is any new news on the release of her as a kit. If not, what is next for you for kit prototypes?

Appreciate any information

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild