H Chris,

Bring on the Prince, please. I am now building the Royal William and want very much to build the Prince since they are related.

Vince P.

Chris: Appreciate the update. While it doesn't appear that the Bellona will be making a appearance anytime soon, I hope you don't mind me in asking.. :-) Sounds like you will have your hands full for the next year or 2. Keep the updates and new kits coming...

Mike Draper

It seems a bit odd to design and build such a beautiful model as the Bellona and then leave the project fallow. I'm hoping that by the time I finish Vanguard (which will probaly take another couple of years) the Bellona will finally be on sale.

RMC

It seems a bit odd to design and build such a beautiful model as the Bellona and then leave the project fallow. I'm hoping that by the time I finish Vanguard (which will probaly take another couple of years) the Bellona will finally be on sale.

RMC

Bellona will be released one day, I have no doubt. What I am saying it that it needs a re-design to make the hull assembly easier to assemble, and it needs to be stronger. As it is now, I have no doubt experienced model makers would have no trouble, but for the rest, it would be a nightmare for them (I can only imagine how many emails a day I would get forwarded by Amati from customers asking for help)! I just need to design out the fragility, and once that's done, it should be fine as the rest of the parts are fine.

Bellona was designed to try out new ways of building the hull with much more internal detail. from that experience I was able to design Victory with full internal detail. This was part of the point of Bellona - a test-bed for new ideas. If I still had to design the same old boring block-type models, instead of trying out new stuff, I would have gone mad with boredom by now!

Fair enough. I look forward to the finished (and sturdy) product- and  hope this makes some small contribution to your future sanity.

RMC

Chris: I do appreciate the work you are putting into the Bellona. It will definitely be a treat to have a different approach to kit construction. More internal detail would be a interesting addition to a kit. Most of us add that through "kit bashing". My Agamemnon has slowed in its progress with all of the extra "add ons" (as well as all of lifes interruptions). As you know from my posts in the past, I am keen to see this model released as a result of your work and if there is anything us lads and lasses can do to help please let (me) us know! :-)

Mike Draper

Hi to all
I have some question about Lady Nelson
on kit is idicated that the scale is 1:64

OK.. but..
in building instructions is indicated that the original vessel was 52' 6" long (aprox 16,03 m) and 17' 6" large (aprox 5,34m)

the model's hull is 29,7cm long that indicate the scale of about 1:54 ?

someone can help ?

Thk a lot
Leo

Leo,

It depends on how the original is measured. The term 'length' is tricky in the nautical world. It could mean length overall (LOA) or length on deck (LOD) or length between perpendiculars. Chris will be able to tell you for certain how the scale was determined.

Cheers!

Hi Leo,

While I am not familiar with that kit, it does not surprise me about the scale being off. It is common for kits of many makers to be off considerably from the published scale on their kits. Not sure if the problem is with original data on ships or poor measurements, but it is seen frequently with kits and plans.

Vince P.

thk for answers

But in the instructions is indicated the Lengh and the Beam
As the lengh is biggher dimension it is easier to calculate.

So the model lengh of hull is 29,7 mm , the only elements which are longher but mutch longher are bowsprit and boom, so these don't enter in measurement. From other side aren't any element on the hull which could modifi the lengh.

As Chris states: 'length' has various meanings.

There are a couple of options:

1. length overal (i.e. including bowsprit etc)

2. length between the perpendiculars (which is what you indicated in your sketch)

3. length over deck, which is more or less the length of the deck (between the sterns)

4. length over the waterline, which is the the distance between the points were the sterns 'hit the water'

5. keel length. Sometimes only the lenght of the keel is mentioned, which is consierably shorter that the other lengths.

One of these lengths corresponds with your stated length. As Lady Nelson is a hypothetical ship, modelled to a more or less standard design, there is no reason to be 'off scale'. I suspect that the 16 meter refers to something else than the length between the perpendiculars.

Jan

Maybe... I don't know
but on what is in that case refered the beam?

Anywhere I have a intention to made LN in 1:100 or something similar because I like small boats in small scalas.

I have another question , anybody has idea about sails for LN ?

Hello MSW :) Great stuff this build log . What I would like to see is an aftermarket upgrade - or let us say a "downgrade" - for the Victory to build her in an older configuration before 1800 with the balconies on the stern and so on as seen on some pictures. just an idea ;) regards ludger

Hi to all

I have some question about Lady Nelson

on kit is idicated that the scale is 1:64

OK.. but..

in building instructions is indicated that the original vessel was 52' 6" long (aprox 16,03 m) and 17' 6" large (aprox 5,34m)

the model's hull is 29,7cm long that indicate the scale of about 1:54 ?

someone can help ?

Thk a lot

Leo

I think that is correct admit own mistakes, and this was my mistake.

After I had controlled other dimensions and for last also the cannons (3 ponders) I realized that the scale of Lady Nelson is 1:64 :huh:

The reason for all this is that I started the scratc build of the model, I was convinced that the scale is 1:100 but in fact I am working in 1:119 .

It's been a while.

I was working on Victory, but then I was sent my new designs for the Prince in laser cut and PE parts, so I figuered I'd build up the prince hull first, so that I can courier the hull over to Amati. They will then get a very good carver to make all new carvings for the model, have them cast, and then send me back the hull and loose catings. I can then continue, and finally finish the Prince!

When the prince is with Amati, I shall complete the Victory drawings/plans/instructions, which should be no later than Summer.

I know Amati are keen to finalise both Prince and Victory, and I am hoping Victory will be ready for release either late this year or very early next.

I have attached a couple of pics of Prince in progress. I have just completed the first planking. I re-done the designs to include three more main bulkheads, (almost) full length decks from lover gun deck upwards, and the new gun port designs that are now intergeral to the hull, rather than the 1mm ply gun port patterns of the old design.

post-4332-0-91554800-1423254608_thumb.jpg

post-4332-0-96888500-1423254621_thumb.jpg

I will follow you with the  savings Ulises  :D  :D

This is good new Chris !

I think I make my wish list for Christmas 2016 ......

Sjors

That HMS Prince has my mouth watering. Someone said to me when I was considering making a Victory (something I have wanted to do since I was a kid!) ... "every man and his dog is making a HMS Victory". Hence my Royal William. I would definitely buy a Prince. What scale is she going to be in? 

i'm affraid she will be huge.

huge seems to be the new kit- designers standard....:(

I'm still hoping for a small scale kir of a large ship. I dont have space for another over three foot model.

Jan

Prince is 64th scale, same as Victory, but being almost 100 year's older, it is somewhat smaller. In fact, it is almost identical in length to the old original Amati Prince (which was given a scale of 1:78...). So no larger than the kit that was available over 40 year's ago! (Just a little more accurate and, hopefully, a lot easier to build).

Also, because of the spritsail topmast and no long mizzen boom protruding over the stern, it is a lot shorter than Victory.

As for Victory, there are many kits available at smaller scales, but I think this is the first at 64th and to have full lower decks detail, complete with a full compliment of cannon and scale carriages.

Don't misunderstand me. I see that these kits are wonderful kits. Problem is that my workshop and home does not fit around a 1:64 ,Vic. I therefore would prefer something much smaller in scale.

By the way: what js the current status of the galleon Revenge?

Jan

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I am somewhat confused as to why this 1:64 Prince should be "almost identical" in length to Amati's earlier 1:78 Prince? 

Hi Jan,

I know for a fact that Amati are working hard to get Revenge released ASAP, so it shouldn't be too long. (Please rare in mind that I am almost 1000 miles away from Amati, so am not sure what goes on there day-to-day - I only know Revenge is imminent because of the last minute emails I recieve, asking for final clarification on some parts)

keith, I think they got the scale wrong on Prince all those year's ago, I think it's really as simple as that. I used the drawings/lines taken off the original dockyard model, scaled them down from 48th to 64th and that's was the basis for the new Prince (And Van De Velde drawings for details of the actual Prince). Apart from size, almost everything was wrong with the original Amati model.

Good morning Chris, i have been away from my boat building for a couple of months due to one reason or another, lol mainly the other, lovely yo see another design of yours in progress