• 2 months later...

Everyone: Its been over a month and I was wondering if anyone has any new info on any new releases by Amati either than the Revenge model. I know they have a few new ones in development and I was wondering if they have materialized yet...

Any new info would be great!

Mike Draper

If I understand correct, Chris is re-designig Bellona. 

Bellona will be released one day, I have no doubt. What I am saying it that it needs a re-design to make the hull assembly easier to assemble, and it needs to be stronger. As it is now, I have no doubt experienced model makers would have no trouble, but for the rest, it would be a nightmare for them (I can only imagine how many emails a day I would get forwarded by Amati from customers asking for help)! I just need to design out the fragility, and once that's done, it should be fine as the rest of the parts are fine.

Bellona is my "dream" ship, which I would like to build in bigger scale than Corel 1:100 and I hope that it will be released some day . 

I am also waiting for the Bellona kit as well. I know the last time Chris had corresponded on this newsgroup he had other models in line for release before the Bellona but I do hope it gets released sooner than later. the combination of the level of detail and scale of the model made it a perfect kit of the Bellona and leaves it open for any potential detailing as well,

Mike Draper

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the update Yancovitch.......

It's quite here because we are waiting for news from Chris or Amati.

We don't want to rush them with the things they are doing.

And of course we are model builders so we have a lot of patience......( I think )

Sjors

Edited by Sjors
  • 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I just did some pruning of this topic. This thread was started specifically to discuss projects in the works at Amati. I don't know why Chris hasn't posted in a while, but I'm sure he has his reasons. In the meantime, the thread was drifting off-topic and threatening to become a full-blown topic hijack. Discussions of particular kits already in production should go in the wooden kits forum. Build pics should go in a build log. Chit-chat should go in the Shore Leave forum.

Thank you!

• 5 months later...

It's always fun to speculate on what's happening in new products with the foremost high-end European model ship kit manufacturer: here's mine.

I believe the ideal timing for Amati to release their 1:64 Victory will be next spring, possibly even later in 2017. It's likely that the content is more or less "ready-to-go" (including the shipping boxes and printing). However, if it isn't, by next year all the laser and P/E work should be completed. AFterall, Chris' prototype was amazingly aggressive in the sheer number of components and additional high-end detail. The model's instruction book and (extensive) plans (likely around 24-28 large prints) are likely completed (assuming Chris finished these up late last year).

My reason for this opinion on (delayed introduction) timing? Exhibit #1: We all know that this kit is going to be mucho dinero.

My best guess for a retail price (at today's currency rates): $1,200-1,400. We also know that Europe is still in crises of various sorts and the euro is steadily dropping against the world's reserve currency. My sense is that the euro will be at parity with the USD right after our Fall election cycle in the U.S. - and when the U.K.'s Brexit specifics are made clearer. There are other extenuating political instabilities to consider but we'll put these on another burner for now.

In other words, like many things in the world we are witnessing, business survival is as much about politics and relevant repercussions as it is about pure business reasoning and careful management.

As a retired businessman, It would make a lot of sense to me for Amati to plug this product into their growing Victory Models line-up but not until the international market improves and develops. The Revenge kit has been a success and it was hurried to market - but, it is only a $400 Kit. I suspect the high-end market WILL ACCEPT a $1K (USD) kit; but - a $1,200- 1,400 one - I'm not so convinced. A 10-15% drop in the value of the euro would put the Vic at right about $1,000 USD. The Sweet Spot. If I were Mr. Amati, I'd hold out for this inevitability. Also, don't forget that for most of Amati's customers, one needs to add about 20% to any street price to cover VAT (which is another reason I think the US market is an important one for Amati).

Does any of this speculation make sense to anyone else on the forum? I'd love to hear facts, like an announcement of when a launch is planned. But when facts are scarce, customers are entitled to speculate! B)

Ron

For me, a model that costs >1500 Euro of this quality is not much. Not when you amortize it over the years it will take you to build it and the years of pleasure it will give you afterwards.

After Amati release this kit, I would like to see them offer a conversion kit so that we can build the earlier Victory - before the stern galleys were closed over.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I read on another site that you had a pdf of the correct rigging and masting for the Amati Prince kit (the 1974 version) .
would it be possible for me to get a copy??
I'm building the kit and would like to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks in advance
Tom Wintrow

Your PM is full so I thought I'd try here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all

@ Allan

Thanks for the tip. I checked Linkedin, but I am not a premium member.

I just received an answer from Chris.

He is fine and has been busy working on Victory instructions and plans (which are now complete) and a small modeller's manual for Amati, which he has also just finished.

Chris requested a change in his email for MSW, as his old address is no longer available.

He will post an update once the re-activation of his account, due to the email address change, is done.

Regards,

Anja

Hi!

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. In the day my time is take up working for Amati and in the evenings I am busy trying to keep fit, after deciding that I needed to lose weight a couple of years ago..

As Anja wrote, Victory is complete and took me longer to finish than I thought. It was new territory for me as I haven't designed anything this complex before, and the plans and instructions reflected this. (31 full size plan sheets and a 114 page instruction manual (A3 size) containing well over 1000 line drawings and photographs). It came to a point where I thought I'd never finish this. but I was very conscious of the fact that it was no good designing such a detailed and complex kit and not putting in the time to make the plans and instructions as thorough as they can be.

I have just completed a little modeller's manual, which Amati asked me to do, which I submitted only a couple of weeks ago.

I am now working on Prince after having re-designed it for a third time after the lessons learned designing Victory - I am awaiting the brand new carvings.

And that's where I am up to.

Thank you,

Chris