HMS Winchelsea by Chuck - 1764 - English 32 Gun Frigate - (POB 1/64)

Chuck.... My thinking is, since I've decided to do the SOS as an admiralty, I would enjoy working on a "moderate" size fully rigged project as well. I don't want to lose my rigging skills, plus, I need to find a use for all those beautiful blocks I got from you.

So, are you going to try to offer gratings as well?

Edited by SawdustDave
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Chuck

I've been going through this build log a couple of times and in detail as I would like to build the Winchelsea at some time in the future.

:10_1_10:

My plan is to build first a cutter as an unrated ship, then something larger but still unrated. After that a 6th rate (probable a swan class) then a 5th rate (the Winchelsea).

I will still see how far up the ladder I get but that is still years in the future.

The one thing that puzzles me is that the Swan class (with 14 or 16 guns) is mentioned as a 6th rate on the forum but according to Wikipedia 6th rates started from 20 up to 28 guns.

Sorry for rambling but why I actually writing this post is about the bottom planking under the lower counter on the Winchelsea

From post #24

post-2-0-86302000-1361056048_thumb.jpg

This was most probable covered in the lost log but how did you support those planks there as there is no bulkhead there.

Did you add some sort of support or filler blocks there?

Regards and Merry Christmas

Deon

Thanks

The planking is supported by by two filler strips.  One down the stem post and one across the bottom of the counter.  You can see that the the strips on the right side of the photo are faired but those on the left havent been yet.  See how the lining tape is secured to the filler strips like the planking will be.

sternfillers.jpg

liningoutstern3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chuck, I am a new ship modeller and have spent some time reading the various parts of the site.  There are however, so many nautical ship terms that I do not know and am unaware of where they fit on a vessel, or an action eg 'straking', "snad" "batten strip" etc. Can you advise of any modelling books that not only identify what the terms mean but also show where they are on the vessel.

PS I do have a ship to build, 'The Winston Churchill' but need to get a little more knowledge to feel confident in some areas of building a worthwhile model.

PhillB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Chuck,

New to the forum today (through your website) and I echo the many compliments of others before me on the beautiful workmanship on this ship.  I, too, would be interested in building this project in 1/48th.  I have a laser, and desktop CNC, and would like to put them to use on this project!

John

"I wont have photoetch but instead all of these elements will be laser cut from Resin board."

Chuck,

I have searched Google using the various descriptive terms mentioned in this thread, looking for the Resin Board you are using, but to no avail.  Do you have a link to the supplier you use, please? I would sure like to try it with my laser, especially considering your enthusiastic endorsement of the stuff.

I am sorry to bore you with more superlatives, and pats on the back, but having read this entire thread, and having seen your incredible craftsmanship, I have to tell you I haven't been this excited to start a new ship project in a long time. The size, type, and era of the Winchelsea is exactly what I've been looking for.

John

Its not that simple....Its a backer used for cabinet tops.   Its called PolyBak.  That is the brand name.  Dont use any other brand of resin paper backer as it has chemicals in it that could literally kill you.  But this stuff is all natural and not harmful. You cant order it very easily.   It is not sold retail.  I have to get it from a cabinet maker when he has cut-offs and odd scraps.   I believe there are a few places to get it online but only in 4x8 sheets and because its a commercial type product the minimums are ridiculous.   If you find a place let me know but I have been searching for years to no avail.

http://www.richwoodind.com/polybak.html

Chuck

Oh....if you can...rather than clog the build log with MFG questions.  Could you send a PM with any additional questions of this type?  Thanks

• 3 months later...

An absolutely fantastic display of craftsmanship, all made to look so effortless, which obviously it's not. Remember going to ASMS conferences with work and being humbled by the talented scientists such as Gary Glish, Scott McCluckey and Graham Cookes also from the USA.

Edited by Slowhand
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello Chuck, after having followed your wonderful build blogs of the Winchelsea and Cheerful, a few questions have popped up in my mind:

- what kind of needle files are you using? In some photos it looks like they are covered with diamond dust. I have several needle files with only normal cut, but they cannot be used with wood, only metal.

- what method are you using when producing the blocks? Some sort of 3D milling programs & 4 axle milling machine? Producing around 1000 blocks in 24 hours must be an automatized function not needing to produce everyone separately.

The needle files are just the cheap ones you get at most hobby shops and big box stores.  I am rough on these files and they get covered in glue and worse quickly so I just buy the cheap ones and very frequently.

As far as the blocks are concerned they are all made by hand.....using milling machines and jigs etc.  Its a proprietary method that I keep close to the vest.  No automation at all.  No computer automation....its brain and hand automated.

Chuck