Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Just proves that you cannot please EVERY critic, Dave.

:cheers:

(At least we like your work.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

On Balkan there is old believe that if you find something like that on your shoulder or arm, this means happines

On ship.model ... good sign !!!

;)

Be happy you have not eagle or condor .

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Dave,

He's just helping you with the weathering...  :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh, he THINKS he's a big bad eagle.... kinda spoiled. 

Here's his little two story mansion I created from shelving.  I don't even know why he would want to get out....talk about "having it made!"

post-11777-0-94550600-1427322490_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ah yes Dave, you are taking the weathering to extremes - - - you can now tell people that a seagull flew over and dropped some happiness on the dek  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Back to work....

Starboard side.... Gun ports cut in, framed, and painted red....

post-11777-0-34202000-1427927543.jpg

Bamboo skin planks added up to top wale, and planking above the wale painted black.

Still must complete the second planking below the main wale. Since those planks will be painted white, I will not be using bamboo for that area.

post-11777-0-12814300-1427927617.jpg

Sideboards have been added above the decks to form the bulwarks....will be planked and painted red.

The rough framing for the starboard galleries is temporarily tacked on, but will be removed to add the arched windows and extremely heavy ornamentation.

post-11777-0-07626300-1427927663_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Visited the photos of that magnificent ship Nigel....made me think "What the hell am I doing, trying to build something like that?"

I am still amazed at how each SOS is completely unique by comparison.... Even among the best.

This example of covering the entire main deck with grating just blows my mind. Is this documented somewhere? I've never seen such on any ship.

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks for that information Nigel. Now I have to think about it. I'm reluctant to cover all the beautiful detail within the main deck area. I assume that has been the decision of most other builders as well. Maybe doing a cutaway approach. Hmmmm

Sawdust Dave -

Good morning.

Excellent work.

I believe you shuold check for Arthur Molle's Sovereign of the Seas, an excellente arsenal model by this fine belgian shipmodeler.

I will look for the link.

Good day.

Giorgio.

Thanks Giorgio.... I do have the link to the SOS by Arthur Molle and will be using it among others as a reference.

post-11777-0-71597400-1428423845_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Following a really bad set of plan sheets has got me in trouble again. Referencing the Arthur Molle photo above, I realized the space between the middle and bottom rows of gun ports is too narrow, and will not allow the two wales between them.

Not that big a deal for the port side, seen here, since I had not finished the second planking when I discovered the issue. I am simply cutting each one of the bottom ports out and move them down 7/16th inch.

post-11777-0-57500300-1428507085.jpg

This will be a much bigger issue going back to the starboard side, where I have completed the second planking. To make matters even worse, The fix will also involve ripping the main wale off and lowering it as well. Real bummer!

post-11777-0-69947900-1428507184.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Don't know much about this ship Dave, but on other ships with a gun deck, the gun-ports pretty much follow the line of the deck, just like the spar deck. But as I said, I don't know much about this ship's design, so I'm probably wrong.  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

George.... The plan sheets I have are POB, and there is no indication given of the level of the decks below the topside decks.  All I have is the broadside profile drawing which shows the incorrect measurements leading to this issue.

This little setback shall be fixed in a few days and then we shall press on.... life of a scratch builder.

Sawdust Dave -

Ouch... didn't "like" that post as I know how frustrating that can be.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the sentiments guys. Re-do's and rip-outs are not uncommon for me. I think it might have something to do with my "bull-in-a-China-shop" modeling style.

I'm sure I could avoid some of these little blips if I would make myself slow down and think ahead a little more.

Too old to change now....LOL

Sawdust Dave -

Oh, I know the sentiments Dave, have done the same thing a time or two.  It's just time and some wood, the end result is what counts.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Finished the port side gun port alignment disaster.... ready for some sanding and fitting the wales.

I'm not going to try to tackle the rip-out of the starboard side yet. Just needing a break from that train wreck for now.

post-11777-0-25061100-1428670329.jpg

Sculpted the port entry....ready for the oven. No attempt has been made to get extreme details to the figures at this scale as I know that most fine details will be lost in the process of painting with metallic gold.

post-11777-0-69320300-1428670412_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

.... I'm s ure I could avoid some of these little blips if I would make myself slow down and think ahead a little more.

Too old to change ....now....LOL

Sound so familiar

And also makes life more interesting

Spice of our hobby ... without, it seems tasteless ..

Good work, I like it

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

A couple of updates.....

First, I'll share this discovery with everyone.  After going through several other products, I have found the brightest metallic gold on the market.  Measurably brighter than anything I have ever tried.....Found it at Lowe's.

post-11777-0-86986200-1428885829_thumb.jpg

Here it is on the entry sculpting....

post-11777-0-13504900-1428886058.jpg

And here's the entry fitted to the ship....

post-11777-0-01177300-1428886144.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Wow! That's definitely got a good luster to it. Will set off the ornamentation nicely! Good work on the carving, by the way! Something I intend to be practicing in the near future.

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

And here's the port side after the big rip-out/re-do train wreck.

post-11777-0-63874700-1428886351.jpg

I really am not looking forward to, now having to go to the starboard side and begin ripping off half the finished planking.

Sawdust Dave -

Here's what the new gold did for the bulkhead. Compare it to the earlier posting.

Also....Note, I have ripped out the lower door and replaced it with a considerably taller one. The height of the first door was much too short....another one of my scale goofs.

post-11777-0-26988100-1428887004_thumb.jpg

Here is the last shot before the revision. Note the difference in the brightness of the gold.

post-11777-0-72258600-1428887677.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Looks fantastic Dave.  Yup, Rust Oleum makes some real nice paint, I have been using it on the O19.  It covers nice and is tough.

I'm afraid I'll not be using gold on my VOC ship, much too extravagant for the Dutch company.  Can't blame them one bit.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back to work....

Had a nice couple of days back in the shop (golf and poker yesterday)....

One of the many things I got personally from the show on Saturday....these two planks of cured Bradford Pear from Hal Burger.

post-11777-0-13935700-1429706214_thumb.jpg

I couldn't wait to put a blade to it and test it's carving qualities. Figured these tiny seahorses would be a good test. Looks like I'll need about two dozen of these little creatures.

post-11777-0-93614600-1429706366_thumb.jpg

The pear performed wonderfully. I'm looking forward to taking it further with the many larger carvings.

Sawdust Dave -