Sea of Galilee boat by Wintergreen - FINISHED

So, first 2 + 2 strakes on. Not without a struggle though. And as they say on the tube "mind the gap"

Nothing a good sanding and filler wont hide so I am happy for the time being.

Next up I need to make some dummy frames to clamp to the floor board. Otherwise I guess I will be in too much trouble fitting planks. Speaking of which, the steam chest worked like a charm. I know from reading that oak bends really well when steamed, but it was still fun to see with my own eyes.

From a couple of different angles, here is the evidence.

post-6-0-12411900-1428431651_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-20816200-1428431715_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-80573700-1428431718_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 3 months later...

Håkan,

How is life ... hope everything is alright ... it's rather quiet on this topic without you!!

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carl, sorry for my absence...work took the better part of my life during spring so no time in the shop at all. Not even time to live, wich is sad. However, I have been compensated :)

The boat sits nicely on my carpenters bench, waiting, probably as you do too...any day (week, month) now, I will get back to it.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 2 months later...

So, finally I figured it out...it took me only, what? 6 months on how to proceed...

No, not really. Day-job, you know, and the dreaded wall of fatigue was close up front. Didnt bang into it though, for which I'm glad.

Anyway, two strakes on, how to get the rest on without bulkheads. Some simple and crude frames might be the solution.

The masking tape is to get the positioning of frame pairs equal.

Contact cement between the tape and the frame will make for a desent bond I hope. And not to cumbersome to peel off when I get to that.

post-6-0-23954500-1443643750_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Håkan,

Awful how life tends to interfere in major projects ... hope you're stable ... I've started on a Japanese kit and they made double planks ... shaped to take the expected curvature, which makes it sturdy enough

Cheers

Carl

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the updates will come a bit more frequent from now on.

As previously noted, an awful autumn, but recovering is steady. Yay.

Strake no 3 in place and 4 on the go. Did one of those silly mistakes again. Cut a plank a couple of mms too short...gah! Good practice to fit new ones though...

post-6-0-19822800-1447424400_thumb.jpg

And before you ask, a close up of the new homemade clamps. When comparing to Eds original I realize I some day might want longer rods to widen the gap. Well, they were quite easy to put together so over time they might get siblings.

post-6-0-81841800-1447424510_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Great to see you back in the shipyard Hakan, The clamps look good too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you fellows!

Yes Crackers, I think I saw that when I started this project. Searching on Google and ending up at MSW...funny that :-)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 2 months later...

Another update.

Not that I've been busy as a bee, but things are nevertheless progressing. (it can also be the fact that our pastor asked about it the other day...)

The first strakes I put in, without scarfs. Really tedious and hard to get proper alignment and nice joints to stem and stern. So, to ease my burden I changed the habit and cut the planks in two. The joint is a simple box joint, slightly angled. I will not put a covering piece on the inside, instead there are pins drilled through the topmost plank , into the underlying plank. This is also done at stem and stern.

The aftermost plank goes on first and the pin at the rear helps keeping the plank in place longitudinally. While the furthermost plank gets the pin in place prior to gluing to aid in proper fitting in the box joint.

A really sharp carpenters knife is useful to work away the waste. Apart from that, ordinary files are used and a little no 12 Stanley low angle block plane to work on the plank height (or width, whatever you want to call it).

Also notable in the pictures are my very untidy workplace. As can be seen in the pictures is the crude hull shape. Lots of dents and gaps and so. But since the plank thickness is 4 mm there is no real danger for me to be able to sand through the sides. As for the gaps, I will try wood filler of the sort that cabinet makers use.

Here is the sequence. 

Plank bent to shape... 

post-6-0-59408200-1455129112_thumb.jpg

...and fitted to stem.

post-6-0-65025800-1455129118_thumb.jpg

The open joint where the rear plank is glued and pinned in place.

post-6-0-95335400-1455129121_thumb.jpg

at another angle and the tool.

post-6-0-88139000-1455129127_thumb.jpg

Held and glued in place

post-6-0-79123800-1455129132_thumb.jpg

And finally the clamps gone, Alas this is of course the other side. Clamps at the rear are holding next two planks in place so we are really picking up pace here...

post-6-0-66516900-1455129137_thumb.jpg

About the sign on the wall in the first picture...did I mention that I bought a blue ocean sailing yacht, late august? Didn't I? But I DID! A long long dream come true and I am so so happy!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Great to see the progress Hakan

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Sorry to be just catching up, Hakan.  Its good to see you posting again - and with such an interesting project.  I like the simplified versions of the clamps you have made - a great idea to reduce the complexity and still maintain the flexible nature of the clamp.  Please tell us how well your steam box works.  

Cheers,

Ed

It just occurred to me that my own little steam box was not new at all I had seen yours Hakan and forgot about it then built mine patting myself on my own back when it was your Idea all along.

Credit where credit is due.

Michael

Thank you fellows for likes and comments.

Ed, the clamps work really well with good power. Cred to you for initially posting about tool making in your Naiad log.

The steambox, however crude in appearance, works really well. I have it on the floor so I dont have to bother about the condensation dripping allover. The rubber bands keep the lid tight to the box so the steam only can escape through the 10mm hole in the far side. The oak planks get so soft so that I have to watch out for them not bending too tight round the uprights. Which can be spotted in some of the pics...

The kettle takes 3 liters while I usually only fill it to half in order to save boiling time.

Thanks for asking, Ed.

Michael, no worries. Its just a straight forward box that anyone would've come up with. A down-scaled version of the real deal.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Since Michael nicked my idea for a steam chest, I decided to come up with something new...(just kidding Michael, I keep you in the highest respect, seen your abilities to construct small engines...fantastic).

The apple tree I harvested, several years back now, warped during seasoning. It has bugged me all along. Today I put together a "slightly" larger steam chest to facilitate steaming of these billets/timbers.

It is ca 95x45 cm (3' by 1'6"). 

After an hour in the Turkish sauna I clamped the pieces to some sturdy timber for drying out. I will let them be there for 24 hrs.

post-6-0-96334800-1455976858_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-42695100-1455976862_thumb.jpg

Oh, another milestone passed this week as well...Gods wonder in a small child, my first of the "grand" type ;-)

post-6-0-62267000-1455976927_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Firtst of all congratulations on the first grand child ... many to follow, which are certainly to be spoiled!!! Advantage of being a gran parent, so people say ...

That is a very practicle work bench ... In winter you can stay warm too ... or you models ... Very nice idea though

Cheers

Carl

Congratulations on your new family member Hakan. A great Idea regarding straightening up the Apple lumber as well.

Michael

Before I called it a day, I decided that cleaning was a good idea.

This is how it stands now. Two more strakes to go and after that it is time for some frames. Well...actually more like 'L'-shaped supports than frames. (note to self - dig out that compass timber you have out in the garage...)

post-6-0-38629400-1455988422_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thanks Michael and Carl for the salute.

Yes, they tell me that being a grand-parent is like picking the fruit out of the cake ;-)

Needless to say, the little one is adorable. 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Congratulations Håkan on the grandchild.   I like your steamer. and like Carl says, there might be other uses.. I'm thinking keeping warm in winter and keeping lunch hot.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

So, guess this marks some kind of tollgate...fully planked.

Bring forth the elbow grease and some sparkling new 80 grit paper cuz I'm ready to go.

post-6-0-67670900-1456778440_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-76814700-1456778443_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: