Le François 1683 by jose_b - Scale 1:48

Very nice work Jose! It's amazing how much wood this boats had, they were floating forests. Your boat is lovely, your hard work shows through.

Thank you very much everyone for the "likes" and kind comments. Yes, Cabrapente, I hope to continue with this marvelous hobby when I'm retired. By now, I can only devote to it very little time due to my job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After a long time, some updates: I've installed the upper wales and then I've cut all upper parts of frames. I've also finished the upper part of the stern.

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

Jose, I am reluctant to do so, but I am going to make a rather painful suggestion, as I feel it would be negligent of me not to.

you have done such a wonderful job of framing the model and compartmentalizing the hold, and building up your interior - this is all excellent work...

But, the run of your wales are not fair lines, and this will make planking infinitely more difficult, and at the end of it, you will never be satisfied with your plank seams.

I know how expensive ebony is, and that you have expended considerable labor in making them, but I would suggest that you pull these wales and lay out more fair reference lines to guide you.

I only say this out of respect for your project and the hope that this short-term correction will save you much long-term aggravation, while keeping your model up to the impeccable standard you have set for yourself.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Jose: your framing work is beautifully done, but I repectfully agree with Hubac. Please consider what he has suggested.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll try to fix some irregularities on the third wale. Hubac, Druxey, thank you very much for your help.

Edited by jose_b

• 1 month later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, G.L. said:

Very nice carvings, Jose. Are they only done with jig saw and knife or do you use rotary tools as well?

I've used knives, mainly one (with which I felt more confident), and a rotary tool for "wider" areas. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Jose, glad to see you are back up and running. I am working on cutting out parts for the frames for Le Francois, while also working on my Maine coastal schooner. I will take a look back at your previous posts for some inspiration!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner