Brig Eagle by robnbill - 1:48

Bill, so this is what you've been up to since the Connie. I had no idea. This is a nice step in the right direction. I have actually read the dissertation on this ship and found it fascinating. You are doing a great job on the framing. I hope to be able to scratch build some day and will use your gantry method for sure.

Thanks to all for the likes and nice comments.

Bill, so this is what you've been up to since the Connie. I had no idea. This is a nice step in the right direction. I have actually read the dissertation on this ship and found it fascinating. You are doing a great job on the framing. I hope to be able to scratch build some day and will use your gantry method for sure.

I actually started researching and drawing this ship almost a year ago. She is a fun build. Very different from the Connie yet, her brief important career was inextricably tied to that of the Connie and her officers (or at least some of them). 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Most of the fairing is complete. The interior is done. The exterior is close. I will finish the exterior once the interior is a bit further along with the Keelson, clamp and ceilings. I have decided to fully plank the ceiling. Since I am going to install as much of the interior configuration as can be seen, this will provide a better backdrop. The frames will still be seen from the outside below the wales.

Once the interior ceiling is complete, I plan on trimming the tops of the frames and cutting in the cannon ports. Final fairing of the sides will be done at that time.

I also have been looking at the mast steps. In the supporting material, Dr. Crisman states that the step was about 3 feet square. I have been looking at configurations that would allow this since just extending the sides of a block would not make any sense since this would leave the sides unsupported and just basically in the way. I consulted the "The Fully Frames Model" by David Antscherl to see how it was done there. He has a mast step that I am going to use on the Eagle. It is not quite as long as the Eagles, but it is wider. Dr Crisman used the bolt patterns to figure the size of the step. The bolt pattern for this would be virtually the same (other than having 4 bolts rather than two). It also would have meant that the mast could be tuned by allowing the crew to move the foot backwards or forwards without having to perform major surgery on the ship. This would be accomplished by adjusting the wedges holding the step. Given the speed which the Eagle was built and the urgency to get it battle ready, this could very well have been the step used by the ship builders.

Here is the diagram from the TFFM.

post-10450-0-81666900-1431283528_thumb.jpg

Here are a few shots of the hull. I did work on cleaning up the rabbet after these were taken. I also will need to do a lot of touch up on the keel's stain. This was expected.

post-10450-0-00678400-1431283530_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-30654000-1431283531_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-74759600-1431283532_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-08263700-1431283534_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-21619900-1431283535_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

She is beginning to show her lines. I was able to create the keelson based upon the materials in the books. Once this was completed, I glued it into the ship and pinned it to the keel. The pins were scaled to 1 ½" and per the materials pinned every other frame through the floor.

I have been perusing the Fully Framed Model for details in the berth deck. One of the items that was discussed as part of the ship but nothing recovered of was the Limber Boards. The space was there but nothing left. Since these were not attached to the ship, they could have been removed prior to the ship going into ordinary, or they could have floated off after she sank. The boards were generally around 3 feet long and we know from the wreck they were 15" wide. I attached a small 1x1 strip along the base of the keelson to attache the edge of the limber boards to. This kept them directly off the frames.

After these were all installed, I moved onto the clamps. I assembled the clamps by cutting strips of maple. Three of each would be needed to make each clamp section. There were five sections in each clamp joined by a scarf joint. The lengths of these sections were provided by Dr Crisman. Each section was laminated and curved based upon the ships curves. Once each section was dried, I would cut the scarf joint and glue the sections together. Working from the bow alternating each side until reaching the stern. Once the clamps were fully assembled, I fit them to the sides of the ship, again starting at the bow and working aft. Once a side was fully fitted, I would glue it in place and go to the other side.

Tomorrow I will add the pins to the clamps then start working on the ceilings.

post-10450-0-35252100-1431482340_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-50765100-1431482341_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-86236500-1431482342_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-11463300-1431482344_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-32562600-1431482345_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Bill, that's one handsome ship. And your detailing is excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I have been working on the ceiling planking over the last few days. The jigs I acquired for my table saw make cutting strips to be as easy (and safe) as I could ask for. I cut up a bunch of strips in various widths and thicknesses based upon the Crisman materials. There are three bands of ceiling planks below the clamp. Those closest to the limber boards are described as wide thin pine or spruce. Next comes thicker oak for those around where the bend in the sides occurs and where the berth deck beams are attached. Lastly come spruce or pine boards again up to the clamp.

I decided to use unstained cherry for the spruce/pine bands and walnut for the oak. This would give me some nice contrast. I have been minimizing the use of CA other than setting the pins in the planks but for this I found it to be required. Since the lower side of the ceiling planks will be visible through the frames, any squeeze out of the yellow glue would look bad. The CA stayed clear when dry so this was used. The upside of this is I also was able to use my planking bending iron to set the planks making the operation move much faster.

Once the planks were all in place, I sanded everything down smooth then wiped the ship down with mineral spirits to remove the dust. The wood will lighten from that shown in the photos as this dries, but it does show what it will look like with a bit of clear coat. The photos below show the ship as she sits tonight. I was happy to see that from the side, planking the ceiling fully really doesn't affect the look much.

Tomorrow I will work on the pins/spikes used to attach the planks to the frames.

post-10450-0-99848900-1431989328_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-75789400-1431989330_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-91479200-1431989331_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-72817300-1431989333_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-86274100-1431989334_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-04848400-1431989336_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-75561800-1431989337_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-23642700-1431989339_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Lovely work, Bill.  The contrasting timbers add great look to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

post2.png Posted: Sun May 24 2015, 02:44PM

Since adding the ceiling planks I have focused on getting the outside of the frames and keel done other than planking the wales up which will be done later. So I worked on finishing the frame fairing on the outside, then doing the inlays of the butterfly plates on the keel. 

1432491802_4362_FT18253_butterfly_plates

I also spent some time doing the final sanding and backing off most of the stain. As a result, the stain remaining left the keel with a nice patina and shows the joinery.

Once that was done I turned the focus back on the interior. As I mentioned earlier I planed on modifying the mast steps to be more in line with the TFFM. This type of step would have been adjustable while providing more strength in the step. This also falls in line with the bolt patterns found in the wreck. So it is entirely possible it was done something like this.

1432492078_4362_FT18253_mast_steps_022_.

1432492078_4362_FT18253_mast_steps_021_.

Once the steps were installed I started mounting the berth deck beams. I decided to install more beams than the practicum. This because I will be installing bulkheads and partitioning the deck for the compartments Crisman discusses in the materials. Since the deck would need to be stable for all the crew and supplies this meant more beams. Once these were installed I added the supports necessary to hold the shot locker and pump well. Due to the weight of the shot and the lightness of the deck beams, the shot locker needs support from the keel up. I added two longitudinal beams under the edges of the locker. 

I also wanted to add scuttle hatches for access to the space under the deck. Since there is no room forward, I added two in the stern area that would be just forward of the aft stairs. I made these by notching in angled carlings and notching the beams to provide a coaming around the hatches. Once installed they will be flush with the deck. I counter sunk the eye rings also in line with the TFFM. Once all were in, I applied a light stain from the clamps down to the keelson of Minwax Golden Pecan. This is the same I used on the decking of my Connie. I found it provides a nice tone and pops without overly darkening the wood.

1432492894_4362_FT18253_scuttle_hatches_

1432492895_4362_FT18253_scuttle_hatches_

I also picked up some Model Railroad ballast. I want to use this to show how the magnetite ore was placed in the hull for ballast. I will do some experimentation with both the mix of colors and glue before applying to the model. My nerxt focus will be on the Shot locker and pump well.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Nice work, Bill.  I'm loving this build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have been focusing on the berth deck construction. After all the deck beams were installed I faired them then started working on the shot locker and pump well. I decided to follow convention and build these as a single unit. I plan on having one of the locker doors open to show cannon balls within. I have not attached the hardware for the hinges yet. Once this was done and the main deck stanchions locations marked I was ready for the next step. Installing ballast.

The ballast for the Eagle is known from the records of the ship. They used magnetite ore. It was cheap and readily available and easy to use balance the rig quickly. Once the ship was launched they moved it down river toward the lake. Once they were past the last shallow bar, they added the ballast.

There was very little room between the berth deck and the ceiling. Once the ballast was installed there was little to no room for any additional storage. I used model railroad ballast and tested a number of different mixtures. I decided on using the black ballast with a small amount of the iron ore and tan to mix in it for depth. After a couple of tests with glue I mixed 50/50 white glue and water with the mixture and spooned it into the ship. I only added it to one side wanting to show the difference between the ceiling planks on one side and the ballasted ship on the other.

Next I started on the deck planking. I used the maple to make the deck strips. I plan on using the cherry and walnut for furniture and details in the cabins. To assess where I wanted to plank I printed out the deck layouts for the cabins and placed this in the hull. Eagle models tend to fall into two categories. There is the kit version which is POB and not very accurate, and the POF models that tend to show very little of the below deck structures. I wanted to provide enough planking to show off the cabins and give the feel of the ship while still leaving enough open to allow the structure of the ship to show. So this is a balance I will be seeking though out the build. I decided to plank the bow and stern fully leaving openings above the keelson where the stanchions attach as well as providing enough planking for the stove and other deck fittings.

Once the planking was installed I used a #75 drill to drill the holes for the pins. This would equate to a 1" diameter circle. Still slightly large since these were iron spikes and probably ¾" at the head, but testing showed anything smaller would not show at all. Leaving these brass shows the spikes but does not overpower the planks.

Once the deck was pinned and sanded I rubbed the entire ship down with the light stain. This enhances the wood and the joinery. I do not plan on adding anything more to make it darker. I will do  clear coat once the ship is done.

This was the test of the ballast. The mixture was too varied here and the black too black. I added enough of the colors to add depth and interest in the hold when seeing the ballast.

post-10450-0-04216100-1432865231_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-18691000-1432865220_thumb.jpg

Below is the hull once the light stain was applied.

post-10450-0-64968700-1432865213_thumb.jpg

The notches below are for the lower ends of the pumps (and below the well). The linear notches running either side are the limber holes feeding the well.

post-10450-0-76797200-1432865209_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the shot locker and pump well. You can also see the pinning. Still some dust from all the sanding showing.

post-10450-0-42051200-1432865211_thumb.jpg

This shows the differences between the ballasted side and the ceiling side. The small circle on the keelson will be the seating point for the windlass stanchion.

post-10450-0-49504600-1432865212_thumb.jpg

Here I have started the forward deck planking.

post-10450-0-42764300-1432865218_thumb.jpg

Here is the completed planking. Now I wills start on the cabins.

post-10450-0-59214400-1432865214_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-20015100-1432865216_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

What Tom said !!

(But more photos are needed)

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I have started work on the cabins by building the magazine since it is central to the ship. This is a very busy room and normally a very secure room. However in this ship, there is no room to have a remote magazine. So based upon all the materials I placed it just behind the pump well. 

While the ship was built quickly, care of the powder would have been paramount so I spent some time accessorizing the magazine. I used a blackened brass plate to mimic the lead flooring and cut it out so the area beneath the magazine would be visible.

According to the TFFM a keg of powder would be 19" tall by 15" wide. At scale this would be 10mm x 8mm. I used oak dowel to turn the kegs. Once turned I cut slots in the sides with a scalpel to show the staves and black pin striping to make the hoops. I also used the dowel to make a bucket and passing box to hang on either side of the door. I created a light window that would be accessed from the officers wardroom. I used slide covers to cut glass for the light cupboard glazing. 

I made racks to go along the starboard side to store the cartridge trays. Each of the 10 trays was built as a shallow tray with 5 separators and would hold 18 cartridges each. Since the cartridges were hand sewn on the ship I wanted them to look to be of similar size, but to not be cookie cutters of each other since each cloth cartridge would look slightly different from handling.

I finally figured out a method for cutting thin strips of the same fabric I used for my Connie's hammocks. This was a paper cloth that I stained with tea and coffee to be slightly tan. I would take a thin strip and run a line of thick CA down the length. Then I twisted the strip into a cylinder. I would finish it by using a bit more CA and using it to make the cylinder consistent. Once it was dried, I cut them to length with the scalpels. I placed these three to a slot in each of the trays and once filled, glued the trays into the rack and the filled rack into the magazine.

Once the interior was complete, I added shutters to the outside of the light cupboard and hardware for the door. After this was all complete I glued it into the ship. 

post-10450-0-15446700-1433298196_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-85398100-1433298199_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-44113300-1433298201_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-00222400-1433298204_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-51393700-1433298202_thumb.jpg

I stained the first set of cannonballs. I am using chrome ball bearings for these. I have found by heating these red hot with a torch then soaking them in blackening solution. Once stained I used them to fill the starboard shot locker. I filled most of the locker with a block of wood and some extra ballast (suitably glued with CA to make solid). Then I glued the newly stained cannon balls into the top. The lid of this side will be open but will not be glued in until later in the build otherwise it would be easy to break off.

post-10450-0-36434500-1433298203_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-94538100-1433298198_thumb.jpg

I started working on the cabins with the midshipmen's cabin on the port side. This one took a bit of time since I had to work out the joinery to be used in the cabins. I will build the furniture into the cabins once more of the cabins have their bulkheads are completed. The door to the cabin is just sitting in the frame. I think I will change the ventilation holes. They need to be higher and closer together on the door. Once satisfied I will add the hardware to hold the door.

post-10450-0-97167500-1433298196_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-97380700-1433298197_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Amazing work, Bill.   Looks fantastic.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I have been working on a number of fronts since the last update. I built out the Midshipmen's cabin. This allowed me to work out the specifics on how I was going to build out all the cabins. While each cabin is unique, they will still be similar in what will need to be built. 

While there were three midshipmen on the Eagle's partial roster listing, there could have been four. Either way, they would have all probably bunked in the same room. However given the smallness of the space, I only provided two bed spaces. They would probably have hot bunked (at least on my version) since at least one would have been on watch at any given time.

I put in a small chest of drawers and a washstand. I formed the wash basin by punching brass down into the center of a steel washer with a large punch. Then I would cut the outer rim out of the square and use the rotary tool to finish shaping. I made enough basins for each of the officers cabins.

I spent some time working on a suitable mattress for the beds. The officers would have had straw mattresses. I finally carved mattresses and painted them. This keeps from having too course of fabric for the scale and keeps the soft materials out of the model. 

After I finished the cabin, then I started work on the next one aft, including the doorway to the officer's wardroom. The ship had 5 ½ feet of headspace which was actually more than other ships of the time such as the Peacock (4.5 feet). The doors still end up being about 4 ½ feet tall.

While this seems very short, it was not. In Sydney a few years ago, I went aboard the replica of the Endeavor. I actually had to get down on my hands and knees to get to the captain's cabin and could not stand totally straight once I got in there. These guys were not claustrophobic! Imagine having a full crew, provisions, and gear crammed into those spaces and living like that for months if not years at a time.

Once I had all the cabin walls installed I spent time making all the doors needed for the remainder of the berth deck spaces. I do not plan on building out the interior of the remaining cabins until all the walls and doors are in place.

Here are two shots of the door to the wardroom almost ready for installation.

1433541331_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

1433541331_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

And here is the same door installed looking each way.

1433541590_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

1433541590_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

Doors are ready. Now I just have to frame the walls in and make the hardware for them.

1433541799_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

Here are two shots showing the two cabins currently done. The midshipmen's cabin is complete.

1433541915_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

1433541915_4362_FT18253_brig_eagle_port_

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I think you will find that DeltaCAD is a pretty easy system to learn. Once you do, you will be amazed at what you can do. I have used it from designing and making a roll top desk, to the platform for theater seats in our home theater. When I was building the Connie, I used it to take the line drawings from the AOS and make them into fully fledged build drawings at the Mamoli scale.

I'm really loving this build!  It's an inspiration.  Very nice job.  I'd love to build her, but I'm going to have to teach myself CAD.  BTW, thanks again for the plans, Bill!

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I have completed framing in the cabin walls and doors on the ship. Still to be done on this deck are the sail bin, the Brodie Stove, and the various accouterments for the cabins. I still need to do some research for the various storage rooms. Typically there would be one for each of the Carpenter, Gunner and, Boatswain. Since the Eagle was on a fresh water lake, there was no need to have large storage areas for water, however, food, armaments, and rigging were still required to run the ship.

post-10450-0-74146100-1434155462_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-25413400-1434155538_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-08670900-1434155539_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-08796700-1434155540_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA