Proxxon Bandsaw - owner feedback

I want to rip thin sheets from 2"x3" or smaller soft and hardwood wood planks.

Room is limited so I need something small.  I will only be using it occasionally. 

Will the Proxxon handle this or is it too small?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi

Never used the Proxxon bandsaw but for less than half the price you can get a Skil 9" bandsaw which looks like it would be a more capable saw.  For the same price as a Proxxon you can get a larger 10" bandsaw that will be a lot more saw for the money.  If you have the floor space look around for a good used Delta or Delta clone 12" bandsaw, it will do any cutting you will ever need for model work or home woodworking.  Just my experiance, your mileage my vary.

Here is one on Amazon that gets better reviews than the Proxxon, costs about $125 less and uses standard blades rather than the special blades sold by Proxxon.  This isn't an endorcement, just an example I found doing a quick google search.  http://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305-Bandsaw-Fence-10-Inch/dp/B0032YZB2S/ref=sr_1_7?s=power-hand-tools&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1426102101&sr=1-7&keywords=bandsaw

Just found this review of several bench top bandsaws including the Proxxon.  http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/benchtop-band-saw-reviews/

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Because you do not seem to intend to expand on the possibilities offered by a band saw (harvesting your own lumber - a powerful saw is best for this, a scroll saw -  a generic 9" will do) and only use it occasionally, why not go an alternate path?  

Find a local woodworker, or high school,  or trade school who has a full size unit.  Buy a blade (for what you want to do the Wood Slicer Resaw blade is ideal) that fits their saw and do it there.  A local custom cabinet maker could do it, but unless you find a generous solo good 'ol boy, the cost may be too high.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hey Richard, if you lack the space or the money for occasional use power tools, consider joining a local woodworking club. In Australia there is a network of woodworking clubs called "Mens Sheds". You go to their website and find the closest shed to you. Most of these clubs are stocked to the brim with various power tools. My local club has two bandsaws, a thicknesser, two disc sanders, two belt sanders, lots of drills, lots of lathes, etc. It would be a much cheaper option than buying the tools yourself. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks all for your tips.

I was starting to reconsider the 9" saws but it sounds like they do not have the power to effectively rip 3-4" thick stock so would need a more powerful (larger)  saw anyway.

The suggestion to find a local club or woodworker sounds good.  I have not found any clubs and the local schools do not have woodworking shop (insurance issues.)  I put out feelers to some friends but have not had luck. I am considering putting an ad in the local paper... that might produce someone willing to this occasional ripping for a few bucks.

If all else fails, I will either bite the bullet and get an inexpensive band saw knowing that it will not last for more than a year or two being left outside, or buy any wood thicker than two inches pre cut.

Richard

Richard

If you are not going to harvest your own wood you might want to consider just buying the wood precut from one of the vendors that supports this forum.  It may actually be cheaper that buying a bandsaw that you will not use very often.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I have that saw, it is actually powerful.

I use it instead of a scroll saw, works very wekk.

Ripping planks - well, it has enough power, but it has no fence, so how are you going to keep a consistent thickness?

Mike,

I would need a fence for resawing. 

Thanks for the insight

Richard

Richard