Billing boats customer service

handyman

in 2011 my wife persuaded me to buy a billing boat and i settled on cutty sark. i used to live a few miles from where it is docked so it played a big part in my childhood so it made sense.

anyway although i have the technical skills for this type of project i have never actually used a wooden kit of this type.

yesterday i got to the point putting it in the bin. the issues i have had with this kit are extensive. including missing parts. parts that have changed and finally not being able to find parts because the specifications don't match the plans.

So i got on to billing boats. this is what the said. since the plans were written 20 years ago the manufacturing methods have changed 3 times. therefore the tolerance on the measurements have also changed but the plans have not been updated :angry: Is it any wonder i can't follow them!!! :huh:  considering i had just finished the hull i am not happy. but i do have to rave about the customer service of both Billing boats and modelzone :D

any way because this is a manufacturing fault i asked for my money back. so to cut a long story short- billing boats agreed to take the boat back and modelzone head office agreed to a full refund in gift vouchers. so now i can buy a boat where the plans match the manufacturing method. I just have to choose from  Constitution, victory, warrior and the fairmont alpine.   

does anyone have any experience of these billing models that are lazer cut with the new plans.

Not particuly with Billings but have got experience with laser cut parts in Artenseina latina and Amati. They are quite accurate but don't rely solely on this to make everything fit perfectly. The kits do require some sanding trimming etc... I'm sure with laser cut parts and new updated plans your build will go better than your last.

All the best for which ever one of these great ships you choose. :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard