Good Day All,

I'm doing basic research for a model of a three masted ocean carrier ca1900.  What are considered the best technical reference books for this type of ship?  I'm currently helping to disperse the maritime book collection of a recently deceased gentleman and there are a number of books on masting and rigging etc. available to me.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian

Thanks GMO2 - that book is indeed in the pile; I'll set it aside! 

As to plans I'm going to model one of the ships from my wife's family history.  But I haven't decided which one yet.

Brian

Brian

Agree on the Underhill book.  You also can't go wrong with various books by David MacGregor such as Merchant Sailing Ships 1850-1875: Heyday of Sail (a tad before the period of interest, but a good reference) and also Sir Alan Moore's  Last Days of Mast and Sail: an essay in nautical comparative anatomy (1925).  There may also be something is some of the works by Basil Lubbock, but would depend upon the ship (Tea Clipper, Down Easter, Western Ocean packet etc.)  May also find some relevant information in Chapelle's Search for Speed Under Sail.

Good luck!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Wayne,

The books by MacGregor and Chapelle are both there.  Haven't found the one by Moore but there is still lots to sift through; maybe I'll get lucky yet!

The ships I have in mind to model are all bog-standard, Nova Scotia built, load haulers; mostly shuttling between N.S. and the Caribbean.

Brian

Brian