Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pre Britannia Model Fittings

Lead fittings Fitting Deterioration

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Thistle17

Thistle17
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationWebster NY

My model of A J Fisher's Bluenose built in the 1980's showed signs of fitting deterioration many years back. I removed the model from the case and removed many of the fittings save the mast bands since all the running rigging would have had to be redone.

Recently I modified the case (a mahogany framed case with glass sides) by installing a hidden DC fan in the case bottom vented to the outside. It is on a programmable timer so the fan runs every 6 hours for 1 hour to evacuate the case. It seems to be working and I have no signs of further deterioration.

Now I am aware of the history of these early fittings as referenced on the NRG site. My question is the following: "I have kept the removed fittings in plastic cases all these years and they show no sign of degradation, does any one have any idea why"? I am tempted to re-install in the modified case. Is my experiment just a delay of the inevitable? Thanks

• mtaylor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.