Granado Amati (Victory) vs. Caldercraft?

jbford

Has anyone researched both of these kits? 

Both are probably very good, but are there features of one that might make it "the one".

I am not considering cost.  Recently came across about $400 from selling more RC plane stuff.

My skill level is beginner, and this one would go on the shelf until the Albatros and Bluenose II are done.

I made research on MSW on old site because Granado was one of my choices and I`ve found, that Caldercrafts version is more historically accurate, for example mortars are of deifferent calibers with Victory models beeing both the same, but Victory models material and instructions are of better quality.

Hello Fenous, I have the Caldercraft kit  and my friend shortgrass  has the  Amati version so we were able to do a side by side comparision.  We concluded both were excellent kits . There was nothing to choose between them regarding quality of material and drawings. The difference in the mortar sizes is due to the date . The Amati kit represents the ship when launched in  1742 and the Caldercraft kit after it was regunned in 1756

Kip

Hi

I am at the finishing stage of the main Hull of the CC version Transom about to be added. I have built 2 previous CC before so I have a little experience with there kits which I think is superb  There are plenty of VERY small parts which need blackening and installing so as everybody says PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT on cheaper kits Unfortunately since the "GREAT FIRE" we have lost many build logs which I had read at great detail to help me, 80% of the Logs on MSW where CC the web sight  for CC has some very good build pictures, 

Good luck with your choice 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS