Suggestions for "entry level" kits

I am new in the world of wooden ship building and am looking for suggestions for entry-level kits. I have read where MS's Armed VA Sloop is a good choice - is this correct? I want something that I can cut my teeth on and learn planking, rigging, etc. I have built other types of models for most of my life, but am fascinated by wooden ones and am completely addicted to the U. S. S. Constitution - which, by the way I purchased (MS's version) on sale (couldn't pass up the deal). Rest assured, it will be put away for quite some time until we move into a new house.

I have an all-resin kit of my Dad's carrier (LPH-11 U. S. S. New Orleans) that I may do a build log on here, but that sort of thing doesn't seem popular on here. What say, members?

Back to my original question - what is a good starter/learner kit to help prepare me for what lies ahead in the Constitution? I prefer American ships, or ships that are in American service, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Fair winds and following seas!

Hello Spaceman Spiff,

Just have a look here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/KitSelection.pdf

You can also search the site for builds that you like

Just choose a build that is to your liking and has your interest.

And don't forget, we are all here to help and assist you with your build.

Good luck,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hey there Spiff,

A thread you might want to look at is:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2406-what-is-entry-level-in-the-world-of-wooden-ship-building/

It might give some suggestions for you.

As far as a resin kit build log, there certainly are some, perhaps not many, but feel free to get one started! All are welcome. Wood, plastic, paper, bone, shells,..........

Brian

post-289-0-79911000-1370056303.jpg

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

I dabble also in resin so I'm interested

advice on starter kit; The first and most important thing about kit selection is that you pick a model that you really like. Remember that building a ship model can take a very long time and sometimes it is hard to stay motivated when you run into a problem unless you love the model.

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis