Gloucester fishermen - fwd. companionways construction details

Greeting,

I would like to kindly ask for technical help with resolving some details on companionways used on Gloucester mackerel seiners.

Am building Smuggler by BJ and came across the question, how was exactly the grating aft the fwd companionway installed? Kit plans call for grating with possible solid covers placed OVER. This would I guess require to install grating little bit deeper, so only when covers are laid over, they would lay flush with the hatch frame. On the other hand, Chapelle suggests, the hatch was covered either with grating OR solid covers. This then implies the grating being laid flush with the hatch frame.  One pic better than hundred words, I posted some photos in my build here.

Second question: was there any handle installed on top sliding cover of the companionway? On nowadays yachts there is a handle to close the thing from outside, I assume it must have been also on old schooners, but cannot find any plan or drawing where this detail is captured. Was the handle then installed on the top of the sliding cover, or from the side, at the opening end?

Thanks a lot in advance for help / ideas.

Regards

Juraj

Edited by juhu

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler