Lowell Grand Banks Dory by SaltyNinja - Model Shipways - 1:24 - Shipwright Series

7 hours ago, Clueless said:

You did a great job repairing those gaps! Isn't there supposed to be a part that goes on the front of the bow yet? I haven't read the instructions for quite some time because I haven't been working on it lately but that seems like a sharp point.

Thanks for the compliment Clueless!  It took a bit of time, but I figured repairs are probably part of the process, as I usually need to improve things after screwing them up.  

Yeah, the part you are referring to is called the "false stem". It's installed on my boat already, but I forgot to note the installation in the build log. I put it on and sanded it pretty flush with the planking. I did notice today that I need to glue it better because it popped loose in the middle of it's length. I think I'll just use a diluted glue mixture so I don't need to sand any glue after it's dry. 

I was also considering trying to correct some warpage in the planking by wetting some areas with water and letting it dry. I think I'm going to experiment with that tonight. I have a few indentations caused by clamps also. I'm going to touch those up with some water as well. The instructions say that some water might pull the grain of the wood back at the spot of indentation.

I'll probably put the last cleats in their place on the inside of the hull, attach the "bands" to the exterior top portion on the sheer plank, and glue in the gunwale tonight. I'm going to sand the transom and frames as well. After those steps are complete, I'll probably paint the hull before installing the seat risers and breast hook. I might paint the seat risers the same green as the cap rail just for a bit of contrast and color.

Edited by SaltyNinja

On 3/9/2022 at 10:35 PM, SaltyNinja said:

No druxey, I didn't try elastic bands yet, but these cords are stretchy like elastic and cinch up nicely. I will try them again when necessary.

On the broad planks tonight I tried using super glue. My technique was flawed on the first side, but it went a little better on the second side. I like how it cures fast. I used regular wood glue on the frames and the super glue on the stem and transom. A little more practice with that method should prove worthy.

Thanks for the intel Dan. I think I'm may only stain the thwarts. I'll be painting the hull and cap rail. I've got glue stains in too many places for a staining job to look alright I think.

I have tried rubber bands and they worked well for me in the middle portion, but on the ends I'm going to stick with the elastic cord stuff I tried. I'm also going to use super glue. I'm going to start with painting wood glue on the frames along the length of the plank, except for the stem where I will put a dab of super glue at the last second. Then I will attach the plank to the super glue and quickly align the plank across the frames with wood glue already applied. I will hold finger pressure until the super glue dries enough to hold. After making sure the alignment is alright along the plank I'll clamp it or use rubber bands (tonight I clamped the plank to the frames). Then I'll apply super glue to the other end of the plank and hold finger pressure until it grabs solid. 

I did this tonight and it worked well enough that I think with more practice it will be a smooth method. I'm going to repeat it a few more times to see if I get comfortable with the super glue on the ends. I think I read somewhere that super glue hasn't been proven over a long period of time yet though?

12 years ago I built my first ship, the Constitution by constructo. My wife got it for me for my birthday and I built it in my spare time while I was going to cooking school. This was before I found modelshipworld. Okay, I admit I knew nothing about planking and only tied the rigging rather than using the block and tackle.

Anyway, I used Super glue and it lasted for 11 years until the wife got a kitten. Two days after we got her she knocked the ship off the shelf and totally obliterated it. The British should have used cats in the Second Battle. The wife would not allow me to hang it from the yardarm.

Incidentally, the ship looked great in my not-so-humble opinion. All Things Considered.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.