Acrylic - compatible varnish

I'm using Admiralty acrylics on my Pegasus build, and I bought some water-based Admiralty matte varnish at the same time. Has anyone else used this to good result, or have a better recommendation?

My concerns are compatibility and longevity.

Thanks.

The old painter's rule is fat over lean, meaning never use water-based paints or varnishes on oil-based paints or enamels. In other words, you can use almost anything on acrylics. I don't know anything about the brand of the varnish you mentioned, but presume that it is acrylics-based.

Acrylics may need a certain time, some days, to fully harden. They may de-swell, giving off excess water during this time. So it would be a good idea to postpone varnishing a few days or even weeks to avoid tensions between the layers. If, however, paint and varnish are similar products, it may be a good idea to apply the varnish layers quickly, as they would better key into the fresh paint.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Right - acrylics are not resistant against ethanol/methanol, which is the solvent in traditional shellac (... a lot of cabinet-makers in the old days were alocoholics :huh: ) ... For same reason one should be cautious with alcohol-based varnishes that are sold in spray-cans e.g. for water-colours or pastels.

wefalck

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Nothing is 'permanent' in life ... except stains on your favourite trousers  :o

Actually, sometimes(!) incompatible paints and varnishes can be used when applied by airbrush. The respective solvent evaporates before any dissolution and diffusion of the underlying paint can occur - provided one applies thin coats only.

This is also a method to applly several layers of the same paint or varnish that would dissolve previous layers when applied by brush.

In any case, I would try it out on a test piece.

wefalck

wefalck