Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About wefalck

  • Birthday 05/01/1956

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Paris, France
  • Interests
    19th shipbuilding and naval history, indigeneous boats and their history

Recent Profile Visitors

5,114 profile views
  1. This is a thought that occurred to me as well earlier on, when you had problem fitting the garboard to the rabbet. I believe in real life boatbuilders let the planks cool down and dry before the final fitting, leaving them a tad longer and wider for the purpose.
  2. Polyurethane varnish diluted, so that you can wipe it on with a rag. Very popular across the pond, but less so in Europe. I guess people here prefer either nitrocellulose varnish or shellac solution. When you say mast-colour, do you mean the colour of a mast after a certain treatment or the colour of paint that was/is used to give (metal) masts a sort of yellow colour ? I am asking this because I have the suspicion that you are looking for the right colour for your Imperial German yacht, right ? This paint was some sort of ochre. The problem is that ochre can have a wid
  3. Well, I used to run 20 turns around the shaft of a drill, not too tight, not too loose and then measured the distance. Divided by 20 gives you the thread diametre. We had the discussion recently in another thread: using the bulk density of the material, say polyester, the den or tex and a bit of geometry, one can also calculate the diameter. For instance, vor Veevus 16/0 fly-tying thread, which has 50 den, I calculated 0.04 mm and a colleague here measured 0.038 mm - so a pretty good match.
  4. In fact, various details changed, for instance in later models (or only vor the 2CV6, i.e. the one with the bigger engine) the headlights became square. Also the metal radiator grille, which was chromed, was changed into light-grey plastic. I vaguely remember that other parts that were chromed were changed into plastic. There were also different colours of the roof. Mine was originally the colour of the car, but the replacement I got after it had been vandalised (someone thought it funny to cut it open ...) was grey. In addition, over the years they produced various 'sp
  5. The battery was sitting on a small shelf or bracket and retained by a couple of threaded rods. I remember this well, because one day I got it back from service and while I was checking the oil (it happened that they forgot to put oil back ...) I noticed that the rods were not fixed - a sharp braking and the battery would have slipped onto the drive-shafts and into the steering, which could have spellt disaster ...
  6. Ah those bygone days in the late 1970s/early 1980s cruising open top around southern France ... At some stage I had to replace the front wings with a good pair from the breakers, but had to match the colour - was able to do quite a decent paint job with a mohair brush ... yes, car model builders spend quite a bit of effort on their paint jobs.
  7. Sometimes such humble service vessels do make it into preservation. For instance, the Harbour Museum Hamburg does have a suction dredge and a floating crane, both pre-WWI, in its collection of vessels (to which recently the restored Flying-P-Liner PEKING was added).
  8. Having all those nice photographs, videos and animations actually allow you to copy such tools for your own purposes - of course, if you have the right machinery and skills. I think the Chinese are in a transition, as the Japanese were in the 1970s and the Germans in the 1880s, away from entering the markets in industrialised countries by catering for the cheap end towards making quality products. 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Germany' once was meant to serve as a stigma and warning and now has turned into a mark of quality. The same will happen with 'Made in China' eventually.
  9. Fly-tying threads are usually measured in 'deniers', that is weight of 9000 metres of a yarn (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_textile_measurement). In other words, the lower the of 'den' the finer the yarn. By using a rough bulk density of the material (nylon) of 1.1 g cm^3 and some simple calculations, one can estimate the diameter of the yarn. The finest thread (apart from monofilament) I have come is Veevus's (of Denmark) 16/0 which is equivalent to 50 den. The problem with fly-tying threads is that they are quite expensive, as a spool may cost you 2 to 3 €, but conta
  10. Where these cross-Channel steamers ? Or, being in a Lancaster museum, they were crossing the Irish Sea ?
  11. In high-class jewellery shops there are usually no prices displayed - sign in the window of such shop in Zürich: "Don't bother enquiring about the price - if you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway"
  12. Would have frightened the wits out of me to cut into the impeccable previous work, but it has come out nicely - who dares, wins !
  13. I think this is what boat-builders do, they cut the planks a tad wider than needed and then repeatedly offer them to the rabbet (or the previous plank) and mark the areas, where material has to taken off. A trick the old Inca etc. used when they fitted these amazing stone-walls without grout: they did not attempt to fit the whole surface fo the stones, but only the outer visible edge. So a minute inward leaning bevel of the planks should do the same trick. Another point would be to fit the planks only dry and not humid, as they would dilate and elongate, of course, when
  • Create New...