Hey guys, this will be my first build log! I am doing the USS Essex by trumpeter 1/350 scale. The time period I am going for is the summer of 45.  I am average model builder so you will see some mistakes. I am trying to get the most detail out of the model thru PE sets, 3d printed parts, and scratch building. I never scratched build before and this was one of my challenges I want to tackle with this project. I want to have light in the flight hangar and this will also be a first for me. I started this build a month ago and had made some progress. I hope you guys enjoy this build as much as me. I appreciate any advice or tips and tricks! I will upload pics of the build so far and accessories I plan on using.

Here are some photos of progress being made. For the hull, I used 6mm tape for spacing between the plates. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 then stretch sprue. For the ceiling of the flight hangar, I used T face and I beams to show the beams. I left a gap in the middle of the ceiling for the lighting. I started working on the island first and have most of it completed already. I need to finish the radars and some  PE on the island. After this, it is ready for paint. The bow and stern are 90% done. I am waiting for some miscellaneous bits to show up and to be added.

IMG_8609.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

Finally here is the project as it currently stands. I installed the anchor and anchor chain. I started to scratch build inside the hangar. I replaced the beams between the doors since I cut them out with the hangar doors. This kit is really showing its age now. There has been a lot of flash and pin injectors. I used some plastic card to cover the pin injectors. I am constantly dry fitting the flight deck to the hangar deck to make sure there is a good fit. My next goal is to get the other side of the hangar deck done. I want to get a beware of propeller decal but I cant find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

• The title was changed to USS Essex by Jman8763 - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC