Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About ccoyle

  • Rank
  • Birthday 08/15/1963

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Greer, South Carolina
  • Interests
    model building, hunting, fishing, reading, genealogy

Recent Profile Visitors

3,918 profile views
  1. Welcome aboard! With the finished pinnace under your belt, you should be well-positioned to finish your new project. Cheers!
  2. Sorry to hear about that. I had a garage broken into once as well -- thieves took all the tools I had inherited from my grandfather. I filed a police report, but of course nothing was ever recovered.
  3. From personal experience, I can tell you that it takes a lot of perseverance to post regularly on multiple forums, especially if one of them is not in your native language.
  4. Welcome aboard, Mr. Foss! I used to dabble in trains in my youth and still have my N-gauge stuff boxed away somewhere. Perhaps you saw the recent post on Rod Stewart's layout? Turns out he is quite the accomplished modeler. Warm regards,
  5. Don't prove me wrong here! I'm not an expert on endemic Chesapeake Bay designs, but I believe that there is some overlap between the terms flattie and sharpie. Googling the latter term will bring up some images of very much flattie-like boats.
  6. Clare is of course correct on all points, and I did not mean to convey in any sense that Mastini's method is inferior or doesn't produce a fine hull. I only meant to point out that the technique does not follow actual practice, and if I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I read the book), I don't think that Mastini mentioned that anywhere in his book. Anyways, "simplified" should not be interpreted as "bad", and in truth probably the majority of us are perfectly content with many simplified aspects of miniature shipbuilding, e.g. rigging -- I've never wormed, served, or parceled a rope in my life. And yes, ultimately enjoying the hobby is the final goal. Cheers!
  7. Some of the bits in the box, including maybe even the unfinished model, may be of interest to collectors. Only way to tell for sure, if you're interested, is to dangle them out on an auction site. Personally, I don't collect (although I hoard a few kits, but hey -- who doesn't?), but I am a tad curious about what else is in the box.
  8. Yes, it is particularly harmful to esoteric, niche hobbies. Apple and Gucci will still make their money when faced with illegal competition, but mom & pop hobby suppliers are a different story.
  9. Also, see this topic on pirated (i.e. intellectual property theft) kits. This is a continuously evolving issue with many complicated origins and interwoven plot strands, but MSW is working hard behind the scenes to help ensure that designers can fairly profit from their work -- even designers in China. BTW, some of the promo photos for the Chine knock-offs -- including possibly the one you screen captured -- don't even show a finished model made from the kit; oftentimes it's a cut-and-pasted photo of the same subject built from a different kit or from scratch.
  10. I always advise new folks that Mastini's book (which I recommend) shows a simplified planking method that is not true to historical practice. It's a fine method for beginners, especially if everything will end up covered by paint, but you may eventually decide to move on to more "correct" techniques. Some modelers never do, though -- to each his own!
  11. Check post #4 in this thread. Not the Davis plans, but maybe an alternative you might wish to consider.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...