Simulating Stowed Hammocks

shipmodeler1

Currently working on Syren. Love that the kit contains hammock netting and especially the frames. But, I also want to add rolled hammocks to place inside the hammock netting.  I would like advice from anyone who has successfully done this on a model and can share tips on materials and methods.

Thanks,

Hi Shipmodeler1,first of all,welcome to the forum :) As regards hammocks,I suggest you check out Canoe21's (Lawrence)build log on Victory in the kit section.He has spent last week producing stowed hammocks so he is the man you need to speak to.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Some where on this forum there is quite a discussion on the details of Hammocks. I suggest you search for it. I will share just a few tips.

1. In the Royal navy the hammock was rolled length wise and had to fit thru a ring under the watchful eye of the bosun.

2. They were tied with what was called a marlin spike hitch. This consisted of 7 loops from one end to the other.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I would expect those hammocks to have been covered by a form fitting wax and oil treated canvas cover, "tarp", to protect them from the weather, sea water and salt. A tightly rolled canvas with a blanket and extra clothing getting wet would immediately start to mold, rot and create heat. Those sailors didn't do well with wet, moldy beds any better than any of us would.

jud

The individual Hammock was not covered. But there are several references to the row of hammock cranes filled with Hammock and then covered. But Jud are you sure that the Canvas would mold? remember that the most common source of cloth was old sails. This was used for Hammock and slops.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10: