My trusty industrial size compressor has finally thrown a wobbler after 14 years service.I originally bought this as I used to do lots of work on cars.I have long given up working on cars now and am looking for something dedicated for modelling.I have seen all the 'cheapies' on Ebay and also the more expensive offerings from Iwata etc.I am wanting something that offers enough air delivery for larger size nozzles as it will be used for spraying polyurethane on larger areas as well as smaller sizes for spraying armour models(something I am keen to get back into).

Replacement with a similar compressor would be the easiest option,BUT I want something I can use in the house,you could hear my previous compressor fire up down the road!!

So I am unsure at the moment,is there any great advantage going for an expensive unit,many of the cheapies are rated at 55db the same as an Iwata costing 6 times more.

Thanks in advance for any pointers offered

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

My trusty industrial size compressor has finally thrown a wobbler after 14 years service.I originally bought this as I used to do lots of work on cars.I have long given up working on cars now and am looking for something dedicated for modelling.I have seen all the 'cheapies' on Ebay and also the more expensive offerings from Iwata etc.I am wanting something that offers enough air delivery for larger size nozzles as it will be used for spraying polyurethane on larger areas as well as smaller sizes for spraying armour models(something I am keen to get back into).

Replacement with a similar compressor would be the easiest option,BUT I want something I can use in the house,you could hear my previous compressor fire up down the road!!

So I am unsure at the moment,is there any great advantage going for an expensive unit,many of the cheapies are rated at 55db the same as an Iwata costing 6 times more.

Thanks in advance for any pointers offered

Nigel

Hello Nigel , why are you construct one of your own ? If you want I will find some plans for the construction for you . It's cheaper  and works just fine.Only much larger in size.

Regards

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Nigel:

I've had a Silentaire compressor for over 15 years and am very happy with it. They're super quiet and can put out the king of pressure you want. I have a two-station manifold on mine and it has been used by two people at the same time with no pressure issues.

They're not cheap, but as usual you get what you pay for.

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/supersilent.asp

Frank

Hi Dimitris

Thank you for your kind offer.The only thing is the noise level.I have seen some diy quiet compressors on youtube.The only thing is the price of the various components.The various things like the pressure switch etc etc would add up to the cost of one of the Ebay cheapies.I looked at rebuilding mine and the price of the bits soon add up to the cost of a new machine.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you Frank

I will check these out.They are obviously 110 volt and I need 240 volt.I haven't come across this brand in the UK so far in my searches.They are made in Italy,so you would assume they are available in the UK.I agree you do get what you pay for,I would have to wait a little before spending a few hundred pounds on a machine,I just want to be certain that they are capable of what I want.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Unfortunately it appears Silentaire doesn't have a UK distributor :( They are available in 220 volt though.The biggest issue is the shipping and hammering with customs charges (32.5%) will push the price up considerably :o

Kind Regards

Nigel

I've heard great things about the Iwata, but as you noted, they are fairly expensive (but appear to be cheaper than the Silent-air, and since they are a Euro company you wouldn't get hit with all the extra charges).  The big key I've read to getting smooth airflow for air brushes is that you need to get one with a tank, so you don't get the pulsing from the compressor.

I'm in the early shopping stages for one myself, so will be most interested in seeing other suggestions in this thread, will be taking a look at those Silent-air compressors that Frank linked now.

Hi Brian

I agree a tank is a must.The larger nozzle size you run,the quicker the tank empties.Ideally this wants to happen after you have completed one coat.My UK search points towards a Bambi compressor.The hot favourite features 24litre tank( I had 50litres on the old one) but above all else 40db.This is lower than any of the Iwata range.Their prices are comparable with the silentaire models,but no import duty and VAT to add to the price.

http://aircompressors.co.uk/Product/0000000079/BB24#

Kind Regards

Nigel