VERTICAL SANDER

The adaptation to boring machine PROXXON ТВМ 220 is constructed for polishing and calibration of direct laths and various curvilinear surfaces of details. The ideas obtained with various shipmodels sites, and also struggle are put in a design basis for ecology (vacuum cleaner connection - in this case Metabo ASA 1202). The box is made of the laminated parquet board in the thickness of 14 mm, grinding drums factory, and also self-made in diameter 30 and 50мм (the wooden cylinder covered with a layer of firm rubber and насаженный on a steel axis in diameter of 6 mm). I result some photo of this adaptation more low.

post-215-0-34297700-1363299581_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garward

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

This is a great unit. Well thought out and built.

Can you show how you attach the sandpaper on the drums you built yoursef?

I have looked at making my own but have not found a decent method of fixing the sandpaper without using glue. 

This is a great unit. Well thought out and built.

Can you show how you attach the sandpaper on the drums you built yoursef?

I have looked at making my own but have not found a decent method of fixing the sandpaper without using glue. 

Thanks for the comment! The sandpaper on the drums fastens by jamming of the ends of paper in a rectangular groove on a wooden drum. On a photo the similar groove on a metal drum is shown. For jamming the wooden rectangular level of suitable thickness is used.

post-215-0-99630100-1363376941_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Garward

Thanks Garwood, I didnt think that a piece of wood wedged would stay in place. I will be making a few of different sizes for myself.

In vain you think that the wooden wedge won't hold sandpaper. Such fastening of sandpaper on drums is widely applied in various machines, there is only a difference in a wedge material - a tree, plastic, rubber, metal. On a photo - the Vanda-Lay firm machine with similar fastening of sandpaper.

post-215-0-75381200-1363444424.jpg

post-215-0-94951200-1363444446.jpg

post-215-0-90978800-1363444457.jpg

Best regards,

Garward

Here is another way you can go with the drums. I bought two rubber drums from Woodcraft. One is one inch in diameter, the other 1.5 inches. They have a screw through the center that expanses the rubber to grab the sanding drums. You can see the nut at the end of one. I found that the type that has a slot and wedge tended to wobble too much. These are symmetrical and run fine for me.

I make my own sanding drums by spiral wrapping sandpaper around a wooden dowel. It took some practice but I ended up with the 1.5 inch drums coming out pretty good. The inside has two layers of filament reinforced wrapping tape (sticky side against each other). I then had a layer of double back tape to hold the sand paper on top of that. All of the tapes were cut about one inch wide and spirally wrapped around the dowel. I had coated the dowel with some wax.

If anyone is interested, the rubber drums are Woodcraft items 128458 and 128459 and cost less than $6.00 each. You can buy sanding drums but they are all way to coarse for what I wanted.

post-246-0-81251700-1363456543.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Really, grinding drums available on sale have too rough sandpaper which should be replaced.

Best regards,

Garward

Really, grinding drums available on sale have too rough sandpaper which should be replaced.

You are right. That is why I make my own. One long piece will last me a long time. The ends may not look 'professional' but the result is a lot better than wrapping a piece of sandpaper around the drum and shoving the edge into a groove. I bought one of those and had to return it because the pin fell out and the whole thing wobbled like crazy.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Garward anytime I see your name on a post I alway get some great info you and a master builder

Hi, Dave, thanks for the comment  :) !

Best regards,

Garward

First attempt at making one. Or rather had a friend weld the shaft on for me. It is a lot smaller than the bought version so will me better for getting into tigher corners. This doesn't have a layer between the sandpaper and drum yet as I was checking it was straight and had no wobble. Now planning a few more with wooden drums and a vew other few ideas for improvement.

20130323164728.jpg

Hi, Snowmans, first attempt looks good! And how sander paper on a drum fastens?

Best regards,

Garward

Fastening the sandpaper is held on with double sided film tape fastening - too a good way.

Best regards,

Garward

Garward

Thanks for the great picture thread. Gives me some fresh new ideas on sanding drums and how to hold the sandpaper in.

Thanks Again

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Garward

Thanks for the great picture thread. Gives me some fresh new ideas on sanding drums and how to hold the sandpaper in.

Thanks Again

Later 42rocker

I am glad that this material was for you useful !

Best regards,

Garward

Garward

I've been working on a sander for a while and holding the sandpaper on was my problem. So again Thanks for the Different ideas. Now hopefully someday I'll complete the project. I'll post a few pics when I'm done.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Garward

I've been working on a sander for a while and holding the sandpaper on was my problem. So again Thanks for the Different ideas. Now hopefully someday I'll complete the project. I'll post a few pics when I'm done.

Later 42rocker

It will be interesting to look at your photos, we wait.

Best regards,

Garward