Customs and VAT on machinery from US to EU

Hi all,

I am looking to but Byrnes Table Saw (http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html) with some extras. The machine is not cheap but may be worth the price.

Does anyone know if I will need to pay customs and VAT if I but the Byrnes Table Saw and have it shipped to Spain (or any other EU country)? I understand that formally bying online from US would be considered as "importing".

The shipping itself is almost 30% of the saw's price, and additional customs and VAT could easily double it!

Many thanks for any insight you may have.

Best,

Wojtek

Wojtek,

I echo Ian. I imported the Byrnes saw and paid about the same..... plus fee to our Post Office for collecting the taxes!

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

The procedure is as follows: First they calculate the custom fee (according to the type of merchandise, for some -- eg. toys and toy parts -- the fee is 0%). Then if applicable, they add the excise tax (I belive it concerns only alcohol/tobacco and such). Then they calculate the VAT on everything (value of the goods+customs+shipping). And post/courier service adds its own fee.

In Poland the parcels of total (i.e. including shipping) value below 150€ are free of these taxes. I don't know, if this limit is the same for all EU.

The official EU page lists the custom fee as 2.7%

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20151116&Area=US&Taric=8465912000&LangDescr=en

Edited by Mumin