Question on old kits - Moved by Moderator

PopJack

First: Please excuse if this is posted incorrectly.

I have a 1982 Artesania Latina Swift Pilot Boat 1805 kit.  I have just completed my first boat kit- the Mare Nostrum and enjoyed the building a great deal- although I did not do a great job and am not happy with how it turned out.  I actually own two kits (long story).  The other is the Sanson steam tugboat, but I have been looking at this old kit for my second build.

Question: Are there special considerations regarding this 31 year old kit that I ought to be thinking about?  I'm not very good- is it something I should pass on to someone who is better or more experianced?  I don't know if these kits develop "followings" or anything.

Inside the kit, I see that the forms were cut with what appears to be a router.  Should I expect even lower accuracy? I can see there will be a great deal more work making the pre-cut pieces work.  Anything I'm not seeing?

Thoughts and guidance appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the Swift, though I have built a range of kits, some of which were new, and some old eBay purchases.  My experience with old kits has generally been quite positive.

I haven't had any more problems with old kits than new ones, provided they were well cared for.  Some old kits are great quality, some new kits... not.  As far as accuracy, I've found that all kits have issues.  That is, new laser cut kits still need to be checked and adjusted.  I always check my bulkheads for symmetry and agreement with the plans, and every kit has needed work there.

I guess my advice would be to find a ship which interests you, and which will teach you new skills without overwhelming you.  Old kits can require more cutting and shaping, so take that into account.  This site is a great place to learn about different possibilities.

Happy modeling!

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

Garym: I already have the kit- had it for years.  It is not laser cut, and I guess I was worried about accuracy (like you indicated).  I hadn't thought about "upgrades."   I note the new version has sails- for example- and the one I have does not.

It's a cheap kit- I think the new version is still under $100.   No idea what it cost back in the 80's.   I can't say I'm in love with the boat, but I was thinking about building it to keep learning.  It would be my second build. This is the same boat being built as "Dock side of the Moon." :)

Brian,

I am making a Coral kit that has plans dated 1974 and I bought it in 1975. It is not accurate but makes up in to a nice model and is not that hard to make. This kit is still produced and available. What is apparent from build logs where similar models have been made from later production kits is that some of the problems with my kit have been corrected in later years.

My view is that if you do an "old" design kit it will probably not be as accurate or as easy to make as modern kits. This is due to a variety of things. New kits are laser cut using CAD, so the parts should fit together well (if they don't it is unforgivable) and finer detail can be produced. The old pencil and paper designs and saw cut parts can be more variable.

When pre '90s kits were designed there was no Web so researching was more difficult - it was possible to do the full research then but would have increased the cost due it being labour intensive. Materials available to modelers has improved and new techniques developed which all impact on the quality of a kit.

I guess it is like riding a bike, get an old one whilst learning, then get a new one!

Ian M.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error.