BB Cutty Sark stern decoration - alternatives?

Hi All, 

Apologies in advance if it's the wrong forum, but it is about the hull (sort of). 

So, Cutty Sark's stern decoration (in BB's case, a gold-and-black sticker); I've realised I've got two problems with it. One is that it wouldn't fit between the two rubbing strakes - OK, it's probably my fault in terms of the distance between the strakes, but having checked with the plans, I am pretty on the money.... and the decoration wouldn't fit into what he plan says the distance should be, anyway - and not by just a millimeter or two, we're talking 1/4" or so, if you trim the sticker by the dotted line on it. Trimming it close to the artwork makes it a wee bit better, but still doesn't solve it. 

The other problem is that the sticker is, well, a sticker. Flat, and very glossy, which looks off  as a whole, but especially so in places where there's supposed to be empty space. So, even if I could fit it in, I would think about alternatives. But what? 

I took a look around, and it seems that thy used to have a moulded one, like by the bow (see the pic - just bear in mind, this is NOT my model; just a picture of a random BB Cutty Sark off t'Internet, and has something that's clearly not a sticker).

So what are my options? There's only three I can think about at this point: a) not use a decoration at all.  Given how prominent the decoration is, this option, frankly, sucks; b) try to source a decoration from a smaller scale model of a different make (say, AL's is 1:85, compared BB's 1:75, although it looks only vaguely similar to the original in terms of the artwork; besides, where will I get one from? Contact the dealers?); c) try to engrave or etch a replacement; this one is not massively realistic, given that I don't have the tools or skills for it, and there's a lot of intricate detail which has to look nice, otherwise there's no point.  As you can see, none of the options are particularly great. 

Has anyone else dealt with it? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Pavel

maquette-bateau-cutty-sark-052564c_2[1].jpg

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.

Photos. Always helpful. I’ve not seen your stern decoration but I look at shots of the actual Ship and note there is a central raised circular plaque. My advice could be to cut this circle out of your decorative piece then attach the Port and Starboard wings of the decoration so their outer edges land where the plans indicate. Now all you have to do is make up the difference at the center. And I imagine this can be done with paint? Then glue the circular plaque on over the repair. I imagine this approach would be a lot easier than replicating the whole piece.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks Frankie, that's a good idea. I'll make a few copies of the sticker, and play with them, to see if I can solve it that way.

Take a look at the pics, maybe something else will cross your mind? As you can see, the quality of the graphics isn't great, though. I am tempted now to take it as an excuse to buy a Dremel and try making a replacement - there's a separate thread here where a guy did it out of 1mm aluminium. 

20181009_204927.jpg

20181009_204917.jpg

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.