Futtock Shrouds and Staves

Guys,

Once again I need help. I am starting the standing rigging on the San Martin (1588) Spanish galleon. Here's my issue:

On the plans it shows 6 deadeyes attached to the foremast masttop. The deadeyes (3 on each side) are stropped for the futtock shroud lines. 

My question is for this period galleon, where and how do the futtock staves attach (seized) to the mast or to the lower foremast shrouds? My plans show no detail, and my reseaech (I have been reading for 2 days now with no success) do not address a galleon of my period.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

I believe that in the late 16th century they would rigged as follows:

The futtock staves are seized outboard of the lower shrouds at a distance below the top equal to the height of the mast head above the top.  Futtock staves go the full width of the lower shrouds.

The futtock shrouds are either hooked or seized into the bottom of the futtock plates that strop the deadeyes.

The futtock shrouds lead down and pass around the futtock stave and are then seized to the lower stay below the stave.

Catharpins are fitted between the port and starboard futtock staves in order to bowse in the lower shrouds and keep them from being pulled outwards by the futtock shrouds. Only the lower shrouds that have futtocks attached are catharpined.

If you fit catharpins on your model, do them first before you fit the futtock shrouds.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci