USS Essex by Sea Hoss - Model Shipways - 5/64=1'

Finally got around to starting this old "yellow box" solid hull of USS Essex. Was boxed in 1957! and the contents were 99% there. Got it on Ebay for $15 and put it on the back shelf where it remained for a while. I intend on making it into a "half hull" with the masts and yards in half also. Gonna mount it to an interesting board of some sort (maybe driftwood). I'll probably also start another project at the same time and fiddle with this one here and there. Began cutting gun ports and shaping quarter gallery for a start. The cast parts are remarkably detailed and clean. Like on the gun port lids (that are only about 1/8" square), hinges are evident! The gun carriages and guns are also clean and detailed. The direction manual though is bad. If this was someone's first build, they would be lost! Oh well, should be fun to experiment with. I'll try to keep it in the spirit of the real Essex anyways.

IMG_20200326_215735.jpg

IMG_20200326_215743.jpg

IMG_20200326_215804.jpg

IMG_20200326_215812.jpg

IMG_20200326_215820.jpg

IMG_20200326_215917.jpg

IMG_20200326_215922.jpg

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

I don't see many of these kits these days. It will be interesting to watch this build.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ya Jeff, it will be a bit of a challenge, everything is SO SMALL. I like what you've achieved so far on your Constitution. I want to do that one badly when I can afford it, 48'' long!

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

• 10 months later...

No Eric, put it back on the shelf and started on the Emma C. Berry. 

• 2 weeks later...