Hello there:

I should probably know the answer to this question - so sorry in advance for block-headedness....but....

I posted a question here earlier about how to prevent bleeding between the above-waterline section of the hull on my HMS Blandford (stained) and the below waterlne section (painted tallow).

I got a great description of a process from Randy (RNBrook). There he suggested that I first apply stain, then coat with a few coats of polyurethane, allowing this to dry thoroughly. Then sand with 320 grit paper. Then apply paint. Sounds good to me and this is the way I would like to go.

Here's my question - the paints I use are Golden artist paints (acrylic), while the stain is (obviously) oil based....so - do I use an acrylic or an oil-based poly? I'm assuming acrylic (for the sake of the paint) but will this have any adverse effects on the finish of the stained sections?

Again, I feel myself getting dumber even thinking about this question, but if anyone could set me straight I promise to be more thoughtful in the future! Thanks,

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton,

Oil based polyurethane.This goes over the stain, and the acrylic paint will go over the poly.The Oil based poly acts as a barrier coat between stain and paint.In the UK they are labelled either acrylic or polyurethane varnish.The acrylic based Isn't a true polyurethane.

Kind Regards Nigel.

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I would not use acrylic over oil based polyurethane. It can scratch off easily.

I have never had a problem,however I always spray another coat of polyurethane over the lot, colour included,far more durable than acrylic on its own.

Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline