my first wooden kit

hi all. im new to the forum and new to the hobby. im researching kits and looking to see what would be the best kit for my first model. my old hobby was building colonial reproduction furniture using traditional hand tool and joinery methods, but since we have moved i dont have room for my shop so its time to do things on a smaller scale.

i have seen beginner kits with tools for the swift and the phantom. are these good starters or am i missing one?

i appreciate any guidance i can get. thanks guys and girls!

current build : model shipways willie bennett

" Never make a promise that you can't keep , a man's word is his honor" 

Scott I Pollack

Welcome aboard.

It looks like you have some good wood working skills already, but do not count out the Midwest Products kits if you feel the need to do something relatively simple for your first kit. They have good plans. They are larger scale models of smaller boats. These are usually good learning experiences. Now, with all that said, the Phantom or Sultana are good solid hull kits, especially with the expanded practica (written by our own Chuck Passaro) that you can get for them for free.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it. A good idea would be to begin a build log here at MSW. That is a good way to share you work, while at the same time getting feedback, advice, and encouragement.

Russ

thank you for the advice. i think id really like to try a plank on bulkhead model for my first go. and i will definitely start a log. i believe that part of the joy of this hobby is sharing and learning

current build : model shipways willie bennett

" Never make a promise that you can't keep , a man's word is his honor" 

Scott I Pollack

Welcome to the forum!  If you are looking into a POB model as your first kit, I would recommend the Willie Bennett, it is currently going for $79 on ModelExpo-Online.com if you use code BANG13.  That is one I have been eyeing for my first POB kit because of it's relative simplicity.  Another one I could nudge you to do is the Benjamin Latham but that is only because I have that one on the shelf and am dreading doing it because there are almost no build logs or anything of it, just some photos of the beautiful completed model.  

With regards to the kits that come with paint and tools, in my opinion, stay away from them.  The tools were sub par at best; I think you would be much better served by purchasing a good set of exacto knives and a set a tweezers and go from there.  I have just been purchasing tools as I need them and it has filled out my collection slowly over the course of this build.  As for the paints that come with the kits, they are not the full paint sets that you can buy in the paint section, at least not for the Phantom.  For the Phantom, the kit came with 4 different paints but the paint set in the paint section comes with 6 different paints, just thought I would point that out.

Whichever model you choose, keep at it and start a build log, the members of this forum are very knowledgeable and willing to help.  Not to mention we could use more build logs at this early stage of the rebuilding process of this forum.

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest