Hi all

Im at the point in my Golden Star build where the hull is varnished and Im starting on the deckfittings and masts. I have done the bowspit where I varnished the parts before glueing together. I usually use PVA glue but for attaching things to varnished wood I dont think PVA works, so I used CA glue. Now, the thing is that it has clouded/frosted the varnish around the joint. What are your experiences with this and how can it be avoided (different varnish or glue?).

Cheers Shaun

Shaun

Current build: Golden Star

Previous builds: Bounty Jolly boat

The clouded/frosted issue could be just one of the problems associated with using CA.  CA has to be used sparingly (less is more), If used in excess it will leave you with the white cloudy/frosted problem.  There are numerous references to this problem here in MSW.  

After trying to scrape the white away, without much success, I finally used de-bonder and took the joint apart, sanded it and started over using a small amount of CA  (I applied it using a sewing needle) and it turned out just fine.

As Brian C said, you need to remove the varnish where you intend to put glue, especially if using PVA.  

I have successfully used PVA on varnished surfaces if I took the time to scrape/sand the area prior to gluing.  

Applying any finish after gluing is preferred if possible.

Enjoy

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

That's why I avoid the use of CA in my buildings, and use it only as a very last resort. Acetone works great to soften and dilute CA. Maybe that can get rid of the white thing, but also most likely will damage any finish around it. My advise is to glue bare wood to bare wood using wood glue, and then varnish all the parts a s a whole. That is, whenever possible. We are aware that any advise we give may not be feasible all the time. Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!