mini metal shear

I finally had a good job come into my studio so I'm going to get a much needed tool.

I cut a lot of thin brass sheet .005 - .015 into thin strips- down to 1/32 wide. Have any of you used one of these combination bench top metal shear/ brake machines. Some also have a slip roll. I'm looking at the brands Baileigh, and Woodward Fab. I definately don't trust the made in china Micromark one, I've found complaints.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I can't afford to spend on something that won't do what I need.

Thanks,

Von Stetina

I have the grizzly. You are correct to be wary. It has been somewhat disappointing. The main problem is that it is very difficult to align the piece so that you get parallel thin strips of the width you want. There is no way to align the sheet so that cuts are perpendicular, and it is difficult to see the strip to ensure the appropriate width. I haven't figured out a good way to deal with this, so I get a lot of waste. The instructions say that you shouldn't cut strips narrower than for times the thickness, but that hasn't been a problem.. If you have better luck with one of the ones you are looking at please let me know.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Hi Dave,

That's what I've been afraid of. A shame as it would make a pain in the neck job easy. I buy brass strips of some sizes from Special Shapes. They supply K&S. I know the must use a shear somehow as that tiny distortion is on the edge of the stip. Seems I always need in between sizes.

I'll keep using my table saw I guess. I use a sliding table with a jewewler's slotting blade. I get waste too trying to be accurate duplicating width.

Thank, Bruce

It does make nice cuts.  I've been experimenting trying to adapt the jig that comes with it (which works OK for 1/2" or greater). I'll let you know if I figure out something that works.

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Thanks Davec,  I've been looking into reveiws online on the combination machines. Seems mostly very bad. It looks like what I normaly find out is true, that you have to spend the bucks to get professionasl results. Like with the Byrnes machines. It looks like I'll need to spend at least $800.00 for a 12 inch shear. One purose machine looks best. Sure can't afford that right now!

Bruce

Edited by von stetina

In the factories where I have worked.  The shears were used to make cases and covers for the products.  The cut sheets that were later bent in the brakes were nice and flat but the strips that were cut off were always curled and warped.  I you ever figure out how K&S cuts straight strips please let me know.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray