adding second planking layer to single plank on bulkhead design

Hi,

As I get ready to begin planking the hull on my first kit, and having read the caveats about single planking being an advanced skill, I wonder how difficult it would be to just add a second layer to a kit designed as one layer if it does not turn out as desired?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Yes, as long as the first layer has been sanded back to rid of bumps etc. Hollows can be filled in win plaster if need be.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Since the rabbet is already established per the plans for single planking, will that present a problem?

Richard

If you are unsure, do some heavy sanding on the first layer and this will ensure you have no lumps or bumps which may be exaggerated by the second layer and use the thin planking to finish.

The lighter planking can sometimes be easier to fit due to its greater flexibility, and laying it over the top of a smooth even surface, will give a beautiful finish.

All up, you could be looking at a difference of around 1-2 mm (at worst) in thickness and this will allow you quite some leeway for adjusting thicknesses if tolerances present a problem. I very much doubt that you will have any problem with the thickness or positioning of any timber work in the situation you describe.

In fact, I was given a model that is so badly planked (single plank model), that I am actually working on sanding the planking to allow a new layer to be fitted and the tolerances, as far as planking goes, are extremely generous.

If you wish, I can post some pics of my repair job as it was presented to me. Let me know either way if that might be of any help.

Elroy,

I would like to see some pictures if possible.

Thanks,

Richard.

Richard

post-5484-0-63867200-1375842447_thumb.jpg

post-5484-0-84293900-1375842471_thumb.jpg

post-5484-0-67496200-1375842500_thumb.jpg

I hope these are clear enough, but let me know if you would like them larger.

These are the parts where I have sanded through the paint/filler to see what was underneath. I have also broken off every piece of the gunwhales, gun ports and the bow and stern pieces. Most of the stuff I broke off is now useless, but I will use the pieces to fashion replacement parts.

At this stage, I can now finish sanding the hull and then look at re-planking it.

There are no instructions with this kit so I will assemble it as I would any of my other wooden ships.

You may notice that there will be a few gaps in the planking, but as I will lay another set of planks over it, then it is of no concern.

The paint/filler is up to 2mm thick in parts, but again, it is of no concern as I will be sanding it all back anyway.

Over the next day or so, I will get into a bit of heavy sanding and post some more pics so you are able to see just how simple it is to fix these things or in your case, lay a second lot of planks.

Errol.

post-5484-0-60626300-1375844858_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the bow with everything broken off. You might get a better idea from this one, just how thick the paint/filler really is. The hull already had around twenty thin planks glued down, but I was able to peel all of them off without the filler and the only reason the hull is as smooth as it is now, is because I spent a lot of time sanding slowly to see what was going on.

Again, Rtropp, you will have no problems if you decide to go a second layer of planks.

thanks for the pictures (worth a thousand words.) It helps me feel more confident about adding a second layer if need be. I am building the Syren with one layer of planks and plates below the waterline. The planking is basswood and I have been toying with double planking to get walnut finish. With what you showed, I may try my hand at double planking the whole boat and having a nice wood finish vs. the plates and paint. I think it would look nicer.

Either way I go, I can see from the pictures that rather than worrying at it, I should just move ahead knowing I can handle whatever happens.

I appreciate your taking the time to post the pictures

Richard

Richard

No worries.

As soon as I get some more sanding done, I'll post some more piccies. It will look terrible, but you'll get a better idea of what you're up against...which will be a piece of cake.

Don't think for one minute that most wooden ship modellers haven't been in pretty much the same boat at some time.

Errol.

Edited by Elroy