Armed Virginia Sloop (AVS) - Skibee - Model Shipways - 1:48

I'm taking a break from building the New York Pilot Boat Phantom and going to start building the Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways.  I chose this model because there are some great sources of information beside the kit instructions, there is a Practicum by Robert E. Hunt via Lauck Street Shipyard, and some great Ship Logs, especially CiscoH's. 

Here is the normal start picture of the box,

Pic1.thumb.jpg.a09577308724cfe1251a88aca9ef1e9e.jpg

I started by removing the laser char from the center keel, keel, sternpost and stem.  I might have removed to much from the sternpost notch, but I think I can work around that.

Pic2.thumb.jpg.a10fe737e8040f3c0fdeafe21d3b38b0.jpg

I'm going ahead and using the included walnut for the keel, sternpost and stem.  I'm trying to decide now if I only put one level of planking or do the two levels per the instructions.  I don't think I want to use the walnut since I plan to paint the haul but would like to keep the definition of the planks.  I would have to buy some additional planks if I went with two layers.  Not sure what wood is available and pre-cut for planking, especially at the thickness of the walnut planks, 0.02 inch.  Plus, I don't have a way to cut planks to width and thickness.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways - 1:96                                      Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                         18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Hi

I'll be following along. Except for the deck planking, I didn't buy any additional wood for my AVS and just followed the instructions plus Hunt's practicum. I painted the hull but scored the planks above the wales to give them definition. The only other kit upgrades I did were the ropes (Morope - which you can't get anymore but there are plenty of other providers, including Syren) and the blocks (again my source for those is gone but plenty of other providers are out there).

There are plenty of plank providers - milled to size - as well, among the sponsors of MSW. Boxwood is my favourite but it comes at a cost...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)