Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston 1778 by palmerit - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I bit the bullet and ordered a second Vanguard model from Age of Sails. Duchess of Kingston should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Of the Vanguard models, I was considering one of their fishing boats, like the Erycina, which was very different from the Sherbourne. The Trial Cutter and the Alert looked too similar to the Sherbourne. I also considered the Speedy or the Flirt. I really liked the Duchess, but thought it was completely out of my league, but a couple people suggested it could be okay to do. And being a decade from retirement and with our boys adults now, the price did not scare me off like it would have just a few years ago.

I was also seriously considering the Model Shipways Bluenose. The finished models I've seen look very nice and it's completely different from the Sherbourne. But after checking out some videos, it seemed like it was a bit fiddly in places and maybe would have been a frustrating second model. Maybe in the future.

Why a second model when I'm just a fraction of the way through the Sherbourne? I was finding that I had a bunch of down time waiting for paint or glue to dry so I thought I'd get another wooden model to work on in parallel. This will definitely be a step up in difficulty, but I'm guessing the excellent instructions, great materials, and high-quality engineering from a Vanguard model will make it easier than it would be with another manufacturer. I'm planning to make sure I stay ahead on the Sherbourne so I can use what I learn from that when doing the Duchess.

In addition, thankfully, there are a lot of more skilled modelers who came before me who I can learn from.

Some complete (or near complete) logs I will be referencing closely:

And there is an in-progress YouTube video series that seems helpful: