:o                 can any one state what is the best form of filler prior to sanding?  I regard myself as new to the hobby although I have in the past built the billings Bluenose, I am now building the AL Blunose11 & wishing to make no visible problems

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Greetings Kier,

If painting, you can use ready to use wood filler in a tube or can - tried and true standard. Recently, I tried drywall compound and it worked beautifully. This stuff dries fast, has the same dry texture as the wood, sands easily and fast, and takes paint well. The only drawback is that it dries white, so you can't use it for natural finish. For natural finish, use tinted wood filler, which comes in many colors. You can get all this stuff at your local home improvement store or hobby shop.

wq3296

You have to be careful with fillers for this as some types shrink as they dry. I use a filler called builders bog. It's the same as some plasterers use Im not sure if you get it over in England or not. It's a selleys brand. Always leave the filler proud so you have something to work with. It's easier to sand it down than build it up.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard