Albatros by shawn - Constructo

I've posted 2 videos on youtube of my build progress of a Constructo brand Albatros kit.If anyone would be interested in viewing them and leaving feedback here of what they think with any comments on anything I may be doing wrong etc. that would be greatly appreciated...thanks loads. Shawn

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Sails so far, still need to cut the strings hanging off then sew on the rope work around the outside and loops at the corners...not the best sewing work but I'm happy enough with the way they turned out. I completed one sail to show what each sails final result will be.

Also, this is the little sewing machine I bought from Amazon for the sails...it's the perfect size for the hobbiest too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Speed-Sewing-Machine-Combo/dp/B005K93LV6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1376119077&sr=8-5&keywords=lil+sew+and+sew+sewing+machine

sails so far:

DSC01621_zps8ff4552c.jpg

DSC01620_zps67866d05.jpg

DSC01631_zps641e4b47.jpg

DSC01628_zps3be13af5.jpg

DSC01627_zps9f8545a8.jpg

DSC01629_zps44ce003b.jpg

DSC01632_zps0ccd043d.jpg

DSC01634_zps1dc9e300.jpg

DSC01633_zps7168d389.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Hi Shawn,

your videos are very well done and your Albatos looks very nice.  :)  
I think the Albatross is for beginners like us a good choice.
It is a very nice boat and not too hard to build. :huh:
I look forward for more photos.
Greetings
Volker

Current build: San Martin 1580 - Occre

Finished builds:

Albatros - Constructo - first wooden ship

Dana 2000 - Billing Boats

Gallery: Albatros - Constructo

Another sail update. I am finished sewing the sails and have attached the sails to the booms (just one pictured but there are 2). Next I will be moving on to attaching the tiny brass rings to the remaining sails and start rigging those to the ship. I hope the rest of the sail work goes smoothly.

DSC01653_zps55f68672.jpg

DSC01655_zps479bb269.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

I finished all of the sail work tonight and the easiest part had  to be attaching the little  brass rings to the top edge of the 5 sails requiring them...I will be taking a break from the kit for a little while and research more on how to attach the sails to the ship and running the rest of the rigging.

DSC01695_zps6fccbb14.jpg

DSC01696_zps50d1ddf2.jpg

DSC01701_zps90a49cdb.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

I posted 2 more updates to my Albatros build progress on Youtube. For anyone interested, the first update (progress update three) is mostly mast assemblies. Sorry for the blurry pics here and there. The next update (progress update four) is the remaining mast and boom assemblies and the completed sails. This may be the last update on this kit for awhile until I can research how to best tackle attaching the sails and the rest of the rigging to the model. Be sure to keep watching though for updates to this model. I hope you like the build so far.

Update three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OICzsRoQjk

Update four:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-wifN7LBY

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Hi Shawn,

i have seen the video.
You're doing a good job with the sails.
At my Albatros,  the sails have lasted just as long as the rest.  :(
T thought it never ends......................
The next time I'll take already finished sail. ;)
Long for more Fotos.
Volker

Finished builds:

Thanks Volker for the kind words on my build to date...I'm definitely thinking of presewn sails for a future kit...I just couldn't get the stitching to stay straight even ion a small easy to use hobby sewing machine.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Well I haven't done much with this kit as of late besides clear lacquering the hull and deck this evening. Sorry no picture of that since you can't tell much besides the wood having a richer woodgrain. Hopefully I can get a hold of some books to help figure out how to best tackle all of the rigging and sail work since the instructions are really lacking for that in this kit.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

• 2 months later...

Hi Shawn,

you did a good job !!

It took more time as i thought !!  :huh:

But someone wrote: ....... wood is patient..... 

I'm sure that your vessel will look good in your living room.

Did you already found a place for it? B)

Regards

Volker

Finished builds: