Jump to content

OT1138

Members
  • Content Count

    37
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by OT1138

  1. So my cap rail didn't fit at all and the longer rails were curved out of shape as well. I was still thinking about fabricating new ones so I transferred the curve using painter's tape. Hmm... once flattened out, the provided rail didn't seem so bad after all. A little trip to the bending station was in order. And voila! The cap rail was too short so I fabricated a new one from some scrap plywood provided with the kit. Now about those colors.
  2. Nice work! And funny that two of us have started on such an old kit at about the same time. I'm not following what you mean about using walnut planks on the cap rail... maybe I missed that in the instructions? I ended up creating a new caprail and steam bending the longer ones to fit. I do not have any intention of planking over them but I am experimenting with a weathering technique. I will put some photos up in my thread soon.
  3. Remember how I said I cut the stern filler block in a convex shape rather than the concave one usually seen? I was quite pleased to find the original plans for this exact model which shows the convex shape, not concave.
  4. Oh, almost forgot about the stanchions (is that what they're called?). These are made out of a brown wood which didn't look too impressive when I put it on. But I later applied some wipe on poly (glossy) and they darkened up a little. I have seen several different patterns for laying this out but I decided to go with the instructions. The gaps came in three different widths - 7/16", 1/2", and 9/16" (approximately). I cut these straight from the pattern and used them to space the stanchions out. Worked great. Ended up with both sides perfectly symmetrical.
  5. I've seen builds of the Swift which don't have planks on the bulwarks. This seems odd to me. The instructions state to plank it in walnut but as mentioned previously, there was precious little remaining of that. So I applied some of the planks used for the deck instead. Pretty straightforward and the planking is thin enough where edge bending wasn't a problem. I was careful to only use CA for the occasional clamp and Weldbond for everything else. I went slow, leaving each 4" section to set for about 20-30 minutes before moving on. No issues with warping or gaps.
  6. So made some progress this weekend but before I post photos, check out my modeling workstation! It's made from big box plywood and collapses down to a nice little cabinet. Huge props if you can you guess where it's from? Hint: it's a Russian design.
  7. The planking behind the stanchions is going on next. Interesting that some builds install them on the raw plywood which comprises the inside portion of the bulkhead while the instructions state to use the thin walnut planks from the 2nd layer. That's not going to be possible because there are only two left... Artesania Latina included no extras in case of mistakes! That's a shame because I think walnut might have provided some attractive contrast. I'm using some of the copious amounts of extra yellow deck planking that provided with the kit.
  8. Thanks! I have been reading build logs and have discovered a few good tips but I find the best way is to just build and gain experience.
  9. June 16, 2020 I spent a few hours sanding things as smooth as I dared without going through the planks. There were four spongy spots and 13 other minor errors (which only I will probably ever notice but will haunt me forever). I thought about Tung oil but was not impressed with how it looked, so I opted instead for Wipe-On Poly. I wanted a semi-gloss look to the boat. I could have used lacquer but that would probably have taken a lot longer and I've been pleased with how it appeared in other builds. I was worried when I saw the first coat... it
  10. Next up was the transom, which I planked with thicker walnut strips. I really like the materials in this old version... they seem to be considerably better than the newer kits I've seen. Later I found that the second layer of planking ran over the edge of the transom. This layer is made from a thin, fragile walnut and the ends don't sand very well at all. If I were to do it again, I would probably consider sanding down the first layer of planking that runs up to the transom and making the 2nd layer flush with it. This would show the edges of the transom but the wood th
  11. So now about those pesky rabbet joints. I found the plywood provided with the kit to be quite hard to sand down from the end grain side. I ended up resorting to files and eventually a dremel. The joint came out ok though I'm sure there's lots I could learn to do better. I then proceeded to plank the upper deck. I thought this would be a LOT easier to do now than to wait. It was again, pretty straightforward. I drew two sets of lines spaced 1" apart on the deck and cut the plants to fit in a repeated pattern 1"-2"-3" down starting from the centerline. I ran a little pie
  12. Given the copious amounts of free time afforded by the Coronavirus lockdown, I decided to try my hand at building the Swift by Artesania Latina. I've just finished the planking, so I'll share some photos of my progress and a few brief comments. May 30, 2020 I purchased the kit on eBay from someone who had been carrying it around with them for 30 years or so. They included some old catalogs and tools from the 1980s which were a curiosity but this is what I was after: The kit was in perfect shape. No missing parts or warped wood and the bags were
×
×
  • Create New...