HMS Bounty by lionfish - Constructo - scale 1:110 - solid hull

Hi Lionfish,

I just used a small hand drill to start my mast holes and then slowly widened them using progressively larger drills. Final sizing of the holes can be done using fine sandpaper on a tapered rod which is slow, but avoids any rip out. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Lionfish,

I just used a small hand drill to start my mast holes and then slowly widened them using progressively larger drills. Final sizing of the holes can be done using fine sandpaper on a tapered rod which is slow, but avoids any rip out. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nigel.

thats what i planned on, but getting the mast rake is going to be a bit harder

What I have done is to take the angle off the plans and make a fixture.  This would help me to make the hole. plus I would increase the diameter of the hole so I could make adjustments.

What I have done is to take the angle off the plans and make a fixture.  This would help me to make the hole. plus I would increase the diameter of the hole so I could make adjustments.

thats what im thinking, but the plans i have for that measurment are pretty much useless. so im going off a set of admiralty plans, ill be using the deck to mast angle to get it right and reduce error on my part

• 4 weeks later...

its been a while since i did much work on her yet, im still trying to come up with the best way to get the correct rake for the masts. my idea is to use a protractor to transfer the angle onto a small block i can use as a tool rest for my bits. one issue i also ran into was the point that the railings meet is off, unless the rails on the side wales arent centered.