Finishing my Osegerb Viking ship

Hi hopefully someone can help.

I have just about finished building the Amati Oseberg Viking ship and am not sure what to use to finish it. I was thinking of staining the hull and deck with an light oak stain. Could someone help as I do not want to ruin the finish after taking so long to build it.

Thanks

Steve

Before you attempt to stain it, make sure you remove ALL glue marks. Any glue at all will stop the stain from taking and will be obvious and ugly. I suggest you paint it with water before you attempt to stain - water will show up the glue marks much easier. Once all the glue has been sanded off (and the water dry) you can stain it. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Do some tests until you find a finish you like. I ended using 1 coat of natural wood paint then the stain, then a couple of coats of matt varnish on my Oseburg. The paint sealed the exposed ply edges and provided a uniform surface for the stain. But what ever you do, test first to be sure its going to work.

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)