HM Mortar Convulsion

Monarch

As a newcomer to model ship building, I chose the Caldercraft kit of the HM Mortar Convulsion for my first model. Whilst for most part the plans are self-explanatory I have an issue with the tiller which has two parts but neither the plan nor the instructions advise how the pieces relate to each other. I presume that they are glued side by side to take the fixing rod but before I do this I am hoping that a fellow member might confirm this. Unfortunately there are no images of this model that I can view.

Regards Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

The Convulsion was my first build and a nice kit she is, the pictures show the detail well on the assembly, sadly my build thread has been lost.

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Unfortunately the pictures are not too much help so I have chosen to do my own thing. Normanh I remember your post and was looking forward to using your build log to guide my build so the loss is shared.

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Looking at my model of the Convulsion it looks like the rudder to tiller joint is a simple butt but I suspect I have reinforced the joint using a cut down brass pin. I would have used CA to bond it if that helps?

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi normanh this is exactly what I did, the plans show a pin but i glued together the two parts first. :dancetl6:

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

Glyn

I finished my Convulsion a few months ago A great little kit for a beginner like my self 

The rudder was in 2 pieces and I remember making a small tenon joint at the top of the rudder to attach the tiller to It is advisable not to attach the tiller arm till all the rigging etc is done and tidy as i can just about guarantee that you will catch it and you will spend time cursing yourself this is the same for the Elm tree pumps they are also fantastic at getting in the way of your rigging tools and lines Mark drill and dry fit but install after the rats nest is complete !!!

Thats my 10 cents worth

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Andy

Thanks for a great tip unfortunately I have already fixed the tiller but will leave the pump until the rigging has been done.

Glyn

HMS Sharke (Sergal)