What should come first Planking the Hull or Laying the Deck

Dear Fellow Ship Modelers

One of my ship model projects is the Flying Fish Clipper Ship by Model Shipways. The Keel, False Keel and Bulkheads are glued up and I am at the point where i can start the planking the hull or begin laying the Deck. Can anyone tell witch should come first and why? Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Best

Vern

Vern:

I will say that the hull planking can come first, but I know there are many who like to plank the deck first. I like to plank the hull first because it usually the most labor intensive part of the hull. I would rather not have the deck planking, or anything else on the hull while I am turning the hull this way and that, sanding here, gluing there, etc. The hull tends to get knocked around a bit just because it has to be handled a lot during the hull planking process.  

There is one school of thought that says you can make a better job of the waterways, margin planking etc if the deck comes first. I have no trouble getting the deck planking in after the hull has been planked. I like the idea of having the hull planking in first so I can fit the waterway with a very close tolerance. I question if that would be possible if the deck came first. Others may, and probably will, disagree. :)

Russ

Vern,

I would follow th instruction for your kit on this matter.  By putting in a false deck if you have one adds stability to the hull and will give you a sheer line and a starting point to begin planking.  I agree with Russ that when you start on the hull you will be moving it around a lot and may scratch up the deck.

David B

David:
I should clarify that putting in the false deck on a POB model is a very good idea. Establishing the sheer line is important to the hull planking, and the stability it adds is very important.

That false deck can take a some knicks and dings and then get planked over in the end.

Russ