Rigging Carronades

Help

I've just spent about three days trying to rig the blocks for the carronades on HM Pickle.

Actually, I should say "the carronade" as I'm still only on the first one and can't get that right either.

I now seem to have my ropes running the wrong way around and all the lashings don't make sense!!!

Below is a picture of what the finished article should look like.

post-2632-0-97447900-1364570698_thumb.jpg

Now we get to the stupid question department!

What I would like to know is - is there a detailed explanation (with photos if possible) which explains how to tie on the block?

So, looking at the block in the right which is attached to the side of the ship, I can see that the 'rope' is coming from the bottom of the block and the is threaded through the left hand block, then returning through the right-hand block again, before ending on the deck or whatever else you decide to do with it.

But, how does it start? Is the block lying on the 'rope' and is then lashed at the top and the bottom of the block?

Sorry, I just can't seem to make out what to do - and in what sequence, so any help from you would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

John

Hello John,

Those Pickle Carronades are the very devil to assemble and rig.

Each of the side tackle blocks are stropped with line fitting along the groove in the block. At a simple level the line is knotted around the eye bolts set in the hull side and bed of the carronade.

A separate tackle line is secured through the strop of the right hand block and it is this that passes thro' the  left hand block from beneath, back thro' the hull side block, and is either then coiled as shown or frapped around itself to secure.

A lot of modellers make up a little jig to rig their side tackles to hold the blocks the required distance apart whilst they thread the line. Often they prefer to attach the  block to the eyebolt before the eyebolt is fitted in the hull side.

My own approach to the carronade rigging is covered in my log, as per the link below.

Regards,

B.E.

John- check out my Niagara build log, page 2 or 3 for how to rig a caronnade. For attaching the strop to the block, I show a simple process for this. Once stropped, the tackle line is passed thru a small hole in the end of the strop (really just a gap big enough for the line to fit). This line is then seized to the block, then reeved thru the blocks. Although my guns have double blocks attached to the bulwarks and a single on the gun, the process should be very similar. I hope this helps!

-Rich

Hello John,

Those Pickle Carronades are the very devil to assemble and rig.

Each of the side tackle blocks are stropped with line fitting along the groove in the block. At a simple level the line is knotted around the eye bolts set in the hull side and bed of the carronade.

A separate tackle line is secured through the strop of the right hand block and it is this that passes thro' the  left hand block from beneath, back thro' the hull side block, and is either then coiled as shown or frapped around itself to secure.

A lot of modellers make up a little jig to rig their side tackles to hold the blocks the required distance apart whilst they thread the line. Often they prefer to attach the  block to the eyebolt before the eyebolt is fitted in the hull side.

My own approach to the carronade rigging is covered in my log, as per the link below.

Regards,

B.E.

Hi

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, I've had a long, long (envious) look at your log as you know.

I noted with interest your decision to lash the leading pulley ropes as you did (as per the Victory photo).

Don't know if you've seen this, but I als came across an excellent 'Stropping' entry on the Model Boatyard entry - showing exactly your method.

Thought yo might be interested so here's the link: http://www.modelboatyard.com/stropping.html

Regards

Thanks for the link John, I hadn't seen it before.

The problem we are faced with working at 1:64 scale, particularly on a small vessel such as Pickle is that the side tackle set up can look too heavy and overscale for the gun if say a hook is attached  by an eye  to the line.

That is why I changed the blocks to JB models 2mm versions and stropped them with wire, forming a hook out of the twisted end. This also avoided the need to seize the block to the eyebolt.

Not authentic I admit but at the scale involved I prefer that the tackles look proportionate rather than replicate the full size arrangement.

Regards,

B.E.

John- check out my Niagara build log, page 2 or 3 for how to rig a caronnade. For attaching the strop to the block, I show a simple process for this. Once stropped, the tackle line is passed thru a small hole in the end of the strop (really just a gap big enough for the line to fit). This line is then seized to the block, then reeved thru the blocks. Although my guns have double blocks attached to the bulwarks and a single on the gun, the process should be very similar. I hope this helps!

-Rich

Hi Rich

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I think my problem is that I have to go right back to basics. We all read about "now, just strop your block" etc. - great, but if you don't know what stropping means then life gets tough!!

Still, luckily enough there are enough logs / tips and advice to be found now which seem to solve most problems - and people like yourselves who offer advice too.

Have a great Easter

John