Now-and-then (and rarely) I see the rudder opening covered, I assume to seal it from the sea.

Was this a normal practice in reality? During certain eras? Certain types of vessels? I seldom see it in models.

Would they be tarred canvas or something else?

I'm building the late 18th century privateer Rattlesnake, which uses a tiller, not a wheel, and has this opening on deck for the tiller. Normal to cover it? Just during adverse weather?

Does these seals have a name or did I guess right with "boot"?

Brian

(not sure this is in the right forum category....)

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Brian,

Normally, that hole is covered to keep a following sea from coming up into the ship. I believe they were leather. And yes, most modelers don't show that, although I believe some of the scratchbuild logs have them. I'll check.

Thanks,

Harvey

18th century English ships' rudder coats were of canvas, presumably heavily tarred, Brian. They were nailed around the rudder head and the periphery of the rudder port. They would normally be a full-time item. Nailing one on in rising seas would not be an option!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Boots...sleeves...COATS! Ha, I sensed it was clothing related. Thanks shipmates.

On the Rattlesnake, I'm sure the tiller opening would be sealed, as the rudder post passes through the captains cabin...

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

• 3 weeks later...